Sign in to follow this  
bitmaker

Quiet hard drive

I currently have a 2TB 7200 rpm hard drive that I use for media storage. I am wanting to replace it with something in the 4 to 8 TB range that is silent when it is not seeking. I am wanting to stick with a 7200 rpm one what should I get?

I don't think there's significant noise differences in any contemporary hard disk make/models, at least as far as I've noticed.

Some models do thermal recalibration or whatnot more often, are you referring to those noises, or just plain ol' sustained idle noise?

That said our labs here are not particularly quiet-- after hours does get more quiet-- but if you are truly looking for a low noise floor unfortunately I'm not exactly in a place to say.

Heh, our lab is almost all-flash and it's loud as heck. So yeah...HDD noise is both subjective and can vary from one HDD to another even in the same product line. 

Figure out which drives you are interested in and then get the pfd product sheet off their web site.  They all include acoustic specs.  For example WD Black 6TB is 29dB at idle and 36dB when seeking.  All major drive makers publish these, but there is little difference in modern models although the HGST He8 drives are more quiet at idle at 20dB.  There are 10 of those spinning within 5 feet of me and I cannot hear them over PSU and case fans unless they are doing a significant seek, like loading a large database.