BOE

14TB performance reviews

Hello,

I'm curious if there have been any performance reviews comparing 14TB drives to 12 or 10TB drives.

If I've read correctly, there are three 14TB drives. But I don't think any are shipping. Maybe sampling to OEM partners, but ebay and the usual stores have zip.

HGST: 14TB SMR drive - Hs14.

Toshiba: 14TB conventional drive - MG07ACA series.

Seagate: plans to introduce a 14TB SMR drive, but hasn't announced it yet? I could swear this got mentioned somewhere, but can't find a link.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:05 PM, reader50 said:

If I've read correctly, there are three 14TB drives. But I don't think any are shipping. Maybe sampling to OEM partners, but ebay and the usual stores have zip.

Seagate: plans to introduce a 14TB SMR drive, but hasn't announced it yet? I could swear this got mentioned somewhere, but can't find a link.

Seagate is working on it but they won't be ready until they finish development of a dual head unit that supposedly runs cooler and gives back some performance gains.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:05 PM, reader50 said:

On 1/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, BOE said:

Seagate is working on it but they won't be ready until they finish development of a dual head unit that supposedly runs cooler and gives back some performance gains.

We actually have the manufacturing process online for HAMR drives, in capacities 20TB+, with shipments to key customers before this year is out, and hitting the public in 2019.

Multi-actuator tech is in the works as well, and we are seeing what kind of useful implementations that can be applied to, in combination with HAMR and other tech, etc. We recently did a demo at CES 2018.

Here are some links about what we've got in the works you may want to check out:

Seagate HAMR Blog
Seagate Multi-Actuator Blog
Tom's Hardware Multi-Actuator Article
HAMR/Multi-Actuator IMGUR Album

Edited by seagate_surfer
Fixing excessive spacing in-between quotes

I ended up getting 16 of the Seagate 12TB drives (OK- I really got 34 of them as I had to back up my system and I wanted a couple of hot spares).   I put them in a system with an adaptec raid controller and the performance is excellent.    I was nervous but they are very good and reasonably cool (I'm blowing air with fans on them but they don't get as hot as I expected).   If only I was a key customer - maybe I would have 20TB drives :)

Edited by BOE

Saw Anandtech's review, they look like a straightforward evolution of the 12TB, which isn't a bad thing.

Hoping this cause 12TB single-disk externals to show up sooner rather than later, too. (plus the price per TB on the 12TB units is now getting pretty attractive...).

2 hours ago, Count Montecristo said:

Soooo...

By now, surely you have some 14TB comparative reviews, Right?

Here's reviews for the 14TB IronWolf & IronWolf Pro you can look over:

Is any word on about when the Seagate Exos X14 will begin to ship to stores like Amazon etc? It was announced with the three other 14tb Seagates but no availability yet as far as I know.

On 12/8/2018 at 4:13 PM, schaki said:

Is any word on about when the Seagate Exos X14 will begin to ship to stores like Amazon etc? It was announced with the three other 14tb Seagates but no availability yet as far as I know.

15 hours ago, continuum said:

Seagate Exos product page has the press release up but it's still not added to the main product stack, so I suspect a few more weeks/months...

We did a little poking around internally, the safest thing we can say right now is to expect Q1 2019.

16 minutes ago, Brian said:

I think we're expecting Exos in soon for review, not sure on capacity and quantity yet.

Well that is good news. The Exos E-series seems to have stopped at 8tb while Seagate carried on with the Exos X-series. The X12 was announced in march 2017 and the X14 same month but in 2018. Even if I end up not buying an X14 I still look forward to see how it performs as the new technology it uses means some real potential improvements.