Adam_a

Samsung 860 PRO SSD Review Discussion

The 860 PRO is, unsurprisingly, another impressive release by Samsung and a worthy successor to the previous generation. Equipped with the latest 512Gb and 256Gb 64-layer V-NAND, 8Gb LPDDR4 mobile DRAM and the brand-new, in-house MJX controller, the 860 PRO excelled in virtually every test we put it through and is easily one of the best-performing 2.5-inch consumer SSDs out there. Not only that, Samsung took this performance and put it inside a 4TB capacity, which is double the size of the highest 850 models and at the top of what's offered in end-user SSDs.

Samsung 860 PRO SSD Review

The point is so Samsung can phase out production of older generation controllers and V-NAND, and migrate their factories all to the latest controllers and V-NAND.

Simplifies production and inventory. Probably lets them optimize production in a significant manner too, since I assume the newer 64-layer V-NAND is cheaper to produce per GB than the older 48-layer V-NAND.

That said, SR appears to be only ones calling it "unsurprisingly, another impressive release" ... all the other reviews I've read say it's more of the same, just with better power consumption, since the 850 PRO was already limited by the SATA 6Gbps interface and that's a hard limit no SATA SSD is going to be able to fix. :P

Edited by continuum
clarify quote is from SR

You get better top end capacity too. This is probably their last end-user SATA drive as well. Looks like we're pretty much at the low-end, high-end NVMe crossover point. SATA hangs around longer for enterprise use cases though.

I assume the 860 EVO is probably more relevant to most end-users, since they don't need the performance of the 860 PRO (or 850 PRO). Will be curious to see how long it sticks around... I think with QLC we might be surprised?

On 29/1/2018 at 5:15 PM, Brian said:

You get better top end capacity too. This is probably their last end-user SATA drive as well. Looks like we're pretty much at the low-end, high-end NVMe crossover point. SATA hangs around longer for enterprise use cases though.

if they don't lower the price per GB I don't understand what they improved.

it seems a good upgrade for samsung but not for customers.

That's pretty much what all of the review sites say. Same or similar performance, better power consumption, no reason to upgrade from an existing 850 PRO. :P