Sign in to follow this  
lorcav123

Reliability of seagate expansion 2.5" 2 TB

I have Seagate expansion 2,5" portable HDD drive (ST2000LM007). I plan to store some important backup on it but I was wondering how much is this drive reliable, how much is his lifespan?

Will external drive last much shorter than internal?

I regret that I didn`t buy some internal 3,5" + external case for HDD and than use that for external backup :unsure:

Edited by lorcav123

My experience with the 2.5" Seagates is good, but never rely on a single drive for backup.  Anything important should be on other devices, preferably in other locations.

And always be careful to eject the drive before detaching to ensure that all writes are done, and use a UPS on your computer so it doesn't power off during writes to external drives.  Just a few of the fun ways that USB drives can hose your data, whatever the drive size.

Edited by Slade

Seagate reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Laptop-2 ... T2000LM007

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

These from Newegg are not so positive, many of them said that disk died after short period of time :x

Reading this reviews I change my mind, I will on this Seagate keep my secondary files so that disk would work only 40-50 hours per year.

Primary backup files I will put on my WD green 20EARX that has 28000 working hours. It will serve as an external drive when I buy new storage disk. I have much more confidance in my old disk than this new Seagate, I bought it only because it was on good price on Black Friday, didn`t have time to study reviews carefully.

About 20EARX, i have some small doubts:

- it happened to me two times when after fast SSD boot I entered immediately in WD green to open some files but there was a 10-15 seconds delay, like that when file is not responding, I guess it needed time to read files. Is that normal?

- sometimes I noticed when I listen songs (some megamix, every song is longer than 1 hour) that when I rewind I got to wait 0,5-1 seconds. Normal?

What would you recommend, WD red or Seagate Ironwolf (2-3TB versions)? Which is more quieter and durable?

WD20EARX.png

???

I was told that:

" the 3TB version of any brand seems to have a disproportionate drive failure rate when compared to any other HDD capacity "

Is that true?

Given how big a factor poor handling during the picking and packing process is in drive failures, I wouldn't place too much stake in Newegg reviews.

As far as hard drive reliability data, that's generally very closely held. The only major drive maker, major distributor, major retailer, or major end-user that discloses such data is Backblaze, and even their volume is tiny compared to many. However, I'd look them up, they do a pretty through analysis of their data.

Run away, RUN AWAY!!!!  That model is a Rosewood series of hard drive from Seagate.  They are as cheap junk as cheap can be.  They are so cheap they didn't even put a full metal top cover on there.  The only thing keeping the dirty outside air out from contaminating the drive is the sticker on the top.

Plus, these are an absolute nightmare for data recovery.  They seem to have soft platter surfaces that scratch very easily, and they rarely work after heads are replaced even by professionals.  We see a lot of them already coming in for data recovery.  Most just have the heads stuck to the platters, so those are easy enough recoveries, but when the heads fail it could be a total loss of data.

If you did buy one of these, I'd recommend you have two backups.

Seagate Rosewood?

Outside of data recovery forums I'm not seeing much mention of it aside from the encryption, have any more detailed links?

On 3/8/2018 at 11:51 PM, JaredDM said:

Run away, RUN AWAY!!!!  That model is a Rosewood series of hard drive from Seagate.  They are as cheap junk as cheap can be.  They are so cheap they didn't even put a full metal top cover on there.  The only thing keeping the dirty outside air out from contaminating the drive is the sticker on the top.

Plus, these are an absolute nightmare for data recovery.  They seem to have soft platter surfaces that scratch very easily, and they rarely work after heads are replaced even by professionals.  We see a lot of them already coming in for data recovery.  Most just have the heads stuck to the platters, so those are easy enough recoveries, but when the heads fail it could be a total loss of data.

If you did buy one of these, I'd recommend you have two backups.

You mean rosewood is that 2,5 inch Seagate, not Ironwolf I mentioned?

As far as the IronWolf goes, the 2TB and 3TB models have different sound ratings. Here is the spec sheet which covers both capacities as well as others.

2TB IronWolf (ST2000VN004): IDLE - Typical 1.9 bels, Max 2.0 bels SEEK - Typical 2.1 bels, Max 2.2 bels
3TB IronWolf (ST3000VN007)IDLE - Typical 2.3 bels, Max 2.4 bels SEEK - Typical 2.5 bels, Max 2.6 bels

The original post does talk about ST2000LM007, which was a 2.5" laptop drive, keep in mind the IronWolfs are 3.5" drives. Here are the sound acoustics from a 2TB BarraCuda just to give an idea of how the IronWolf does in relation to a standard desktop-grade drive (spec sheet for the BarraCuda here):

2TB, 3.5" BarraCuda (ST2000DM006)IDLE - Typical 2.5 bels, Max 2.6 bels SEEK - Typical 2.7 bels, Max 2.8 bels

If you wanted another 2.5" drive to compare to, here's the 2.5" version of the 2TB BarraCuda (spec sheet here):

2TB, 2.5" BarraCuda (ST2000LM015)IDLE - Typical 2.0 bels, Max 2.2 bels SEEK - Typical 2.2 bels, Max 2.4 bels

Given that information, the 2TB IronWolf comes out the winner on quietest drive as far as these offerings go. Just keep in mind that the 2TB, 3.5" BarraCuda is 7200 RPM, while the rest of the drives on this list in these capacities will be 5400/5900 RPM.

Regardless of which route you decide to go in the end, thanks for considering Seagate!

7 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

As far as the IronWolf goes, the 2TB and 3TB models have different sound ratings. Here is the spec sheet which covers both capacities as well as others.

2TB IronWolf (ST2000VN004): IDLE - Typical 1.9 bels, Max 2.0 bels SEEK - Typical 2.1 bels, Max 2.2 bels
3TB IronWolf (ST3000VN007)IDLE - Typical 2.3 bels, Max 2.4 bels SEEK - Typical 2.5 bels, Max 2.6 bels

The original post does talk about ST2000LM007, which was a 2.5" laptop drive, keep in mind the IronWolfs are 3.5" drives. Here are the sound acoustics from a 2TB BarraCuda just to give an idea of how the IronWolf does in relation to a standard desktop-grade drive (spec sheet for the BarraCuda here):

2TB, 3.5" BarraCuda (ST2000DM006)IDLE - Typical 2.5 bels, Max 2.6 bels SEEK - Typical 2.7 bels, Max 2.8 bels

If you wanted another 2.5" drive to compare to, here's the 2.5" version of the 2TB BarraCuda (spec sheet here):

2TB, 2.5" BarraCuda (ST2000LM015)IDLE - Typical 2.0 bels, Max 2.2 bels SEEK - Typical 2.2 bels, Max 2.4 bels

Given that information, the 2TB IronWolf comes out the winner on quietest drive as far as these offerings go. Just keep in mind that the 2TB, 3.5" BarraCuda is 7200 RPM, while the rest of the drives on this lt in these capacities will be 5400/5900 RPM.

Regardless of which route you decide to go in the end, thanks for considering Seagate!

@Seagate_surfer what about that rosewood series (2.5inch I bought), I found on some pages that that series is very bad...

On 5/19/2018 at 2:37 AM, lorcav123 said:

@Seagate_surfer what about that rosewood series (2.5inch I bought), I found on some pages that that series is very bad...

I'm sure an official Seagate representative isn't going to respond back and tell you how bad a particular model is.  But, there are plenty of us who work in professional data recovery who will gladly tell you that.

Seagate drives have had some serious quality issues as of late.  It doesn't seem to affect their enterprise drives, but they've had serious issues with their consumer grade drives.  One model, ST3000DM001 had such high failure rates that they are being sued in a class action lawsuit right now.  From what I'm seeing come in, I don't think these Rosewood drives (ST2000LM007) are going to fare much better.

In the 4Tb and up desktop drives, there seems to be some improvement in the quality now.  However, they've still got a long way to go to catch up to the reliability of other brands like HGST.

There's also the matter of the company forcing people to use their data recovery services now.  Ever since Seagate started their own data recovery services company, they've begun actively trying to make data recovery impossible to all companies except their own.  They've locked out the terminal, encrypted the firmware, etc. so that only their company will have the necessary passwords to attempt recovery when it does fail.  So they're basically a company who's bent on selling people what they know to be a crappy product, then force you to buy their service when it fails if you didn't have a good backup.  It's bascially like if Ford put a secure lock on the hood of a car they knew was prone to engine problems, so you'd have to use their service centers to get it fixed and they'd have no competition.

I personally prefer not to give my hard earned money to companies who treat their customers that way.

Edited by JaredDM

Question-- what timeframes exactly are you addressing in your "as of late" comments?

Seagate Barracuda 3TB (ST3000DM001) failure rates are definitely atrocious, but most of our deployments were circa 2011 or 2012 for those, so the ST3000DM001 is far enough in the past, it's is no longer a relevant model for our production.

Just curious what timeframes you're looking at.

It's bascially like if Ford put a secure lock on the hood of a car they knew was prone to engine problems, so you'd have to use their service centers to get it fixed and they'd have no competition.

Major auto makers are doing this the past few years, actually. To replace simple parts often requires you have the factory tool to reset the ECM, PCM, TCM, etc. to accept the new part. It's not quite as atrocious as forcing you to take it back to the dealer, but independent shops have been forced to buy the factory diagnostic tools to do a proper ECM/PCM/TCM/etc. reset. Plus they're now applying for and receiving design patents on a lot of parts, so 3rd party makers can't make alternatives (at least not immediately).