JPWRana

Does it Exist? Combo Modem/Router with USB Drive Storage

Due to the size limits of my office desk, i have always preferred less clutter. That being said, I never was a fan of a device for my cable modem, a device for my router, and leaving my external hard drive out all the time so i could just plug it in when i am ready to use it.

I have always had a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with a combined 802.11n router. I now have a few devices that support AC wireless speeds, so I am ready to take the plunge and get a new combo router/modem device. What I would like to know though, is if there exists such a device NAS a la USB DRIVE. I currently have a 3.0USB 128GB drive, but i will gladly buy a 256GB USB Drive I can have what i am looking for.

In my search I have found a AC router with USB options, or AC Router with a Cable modem, but not all 3.

Does it exist?

I'd opt for two units. I don't think the cable modem will provide you with nearly as good of an experience as a proper wireless router, which can easily support your USB need. 

On 12/28/2017 at 9:21 AM, Brian said:

I'd opt for two units. I don't think the cable modem will provide you with nearly as good of an experience as a proper wireless router, which can easily support your USB need. 

Which router do you recommend then that has the best support/options/configurability for a USB Drive set up as a NAS with AC wireless capability?

I'd look at what Netgear has to offer, they've had this functionality for a long time. As to which way you go, there are a dozen options or more, hard to advise you as this is not my specialty. 

SmallNetBuilder has excellent reviews. As others have said and my own experience mirrors, tho, I have relatively little knowledge or experience with combo cable modem + router units.