Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

What power jumpers should I set on my 10K III drives? Any?

I'm not talking about the SCSI ID jumpers of course, just things like Delay Spin, Stagger Spin, and Termination Power.

DS - Delay Spin

This will cause the drive to not spin unless it receives a start unit command from a SCSI host. Most SCSI host adapters have the start unit command enabled by default in their BIOS. Enabling Delay Spin is only necessary when you are starting multiple SCSI devices at power on.

SS - Stagger Spin

This option works in conjunction when the DS jumper is installed on the drive. It will allow each device to start (spin up) at pre-determined, staggered intervals when a START UNIT command is sent by the host adapter. This is useful when operating multiple devices on the same SCSI bus (helps prevent power supply overload caused by multiple devices attempting to start concurrently). Current host adapters usually offer a START/SPOP UNIT command enable or disable.

TP - Termination Power (Differs from Termination Enable)

Termination Power ensures that there is a sufficient level of power along the entire SCSI bus. It is recommended that the last device on the SCSI bus have the Termination Power jumper installed. All intermediate devices on the SCSI bus, between the host and last device, typically should have no jumper installed on Termination Power.

Power Usage Consideration points:

Should I stagger spin/no spin the Atlas drives somehow? I do that for just the two data drives and not the boot drive, right? If so, do I just set the SS or NS jumper and everything else is automatic? Which is better in my case, just DS or DS and SS?

Should I bother with the Term Power jumper or is that just if you have gobs of drives on the chain?

Do I have enough PSU?

Forgot one question about Term Power for the last ID in the chain....what if all the device IDs are under 7? Is 7 considered the last ID in the chain then?

Is 0 the start or 7? I thought the chain built out from 7 in each direction, but that would imply two ends to the chain which isn't right.

Forgot one question about Term Power for the last ID in the chain....what if all the device IDs are under 7?  Is 7 considered the last ID in the chain then?

Is 0 the start or 7?  I thought the chain built out from 7 in each direction, but that would imply two ends to the chain which isn't right.

Leave the Term Power jumper off, and use an active LVD terminator on the end of the cable. Adapter will take ID7, and you can use ID0-6 and 8-15 for devices.

I have:

1 10 K SCSI disk

2 7200 SCSI disks

3 7200 IDE disks

1 CDROM

1 CDwriter

1 DVD

3 80 mm fans + fan in power supply

Geforce 3 + 4 PCI cards

All this on a 340 W Chieftec power supply; no problems booting and no stability problems. The only jumpers on my disks are those to set the ID and Auto Spin.

I have:

SCSI

1 36LZX 18GB

2 MAJ 18GB

1 MAJ 9GB

IDE

1 CDRW16x

1 DVD 16x

Athlon 1GHz

512MB RAM

7 case fans

Antec 400W pp412

I do not have my SCSI's set to any kind of delayed spinup or staggered spinup, and everything works fine. 400W of Antec is a lot of PSU -- I doubt you'll have to worry about it.

I'm running three 18gig 10K IIIs on my on board Adaptec 7899 controller. All on the same channel. No delay or stagger is necessary. No termination power jumpers are installed nor should they be. You only need to jumper for ID number and that's it. I'm using a 450w power supply but a 400w should work fine.

Me, and me, ane me  :lol: 

On a 300W Fortron/Sparkle with 1500rpm fan.

System is running 24/7.

How good are Sparkle ps's? I use a 200w one in my MP3 box(I got the box for free, with a loud ATX 250w ps):

Intel Pentium II 300mhz Slot 1 proc. uc to 233mhz to allow passive cooling(the Cooler Master fan had bad bearings)

128mb SDRAM PC-100(64mb simm, 2x32mb simms)

Unknown ATX Slot 1 mobo w/i440TX chipset

45GB 75GXP(clipped to 32gb)

Soundblaster 16 ISA(sounds quite decent)

SIS 4mb 3D video card w/ video out AGP 1x

32x CD-ROM

A 200w can handle this setup. I'm just curious as to the build quality of Sparkle, as I got mine for $15.00.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I was getting worried over nothing. I thought my three 36GB Atlas 10K III drives made my system too taxing on the power, now I know it's nothing special. Ha ha! :)

How good are Sparkle ps's?

First thing: it's sparkle's older FSP300. I have an old review from C'T magazine and apparently it was pretty average electrically speaking. This one does not even have PFC. The stock fan was terribly noisy. Despite the fact that i replaced it by a much quieter unit it still does not get hot though. Anyway you won't find this one on the market any longer so it's not of great importance. I just posted because i had the weakest supply. I guess i won't fix what's not broken...

Interestingly C'T made new reviews this week with the newer PSU's. Most ordinary PC PSU's which are on the market are pretty average apparently (Enermax included). They reviewed a nearly fanless unit (fan does hardly spin) using a passive heatsink. It should probably be used in "cool" running systems anyway. Apparently it was quite efficient, handled surges and very small blackouts quite well -->AP2-6300SFC-A : www.engelking-elektronik.de

Price is also 234€ for a better unit ;)

Anyway those are my two interesting cents :)