Sign in to follow this  
mitchm3

Best way to nuke drives on RAID card

I'm looking to wipe a couple of servers, and for a desktop the process is super easy.  I'd either use something like DBAN, or Hiren's CD, or Parted Magic.  Just boot into some DOS emulator, or linux, and away you go.

But for a server that has a RAID card, how much pain will I be in, trying to get the RAID card recognized?  It's basically just the onboard Intel RAID as part of the Dell server I'm working with.

Ideally I'd use something with a secure erase option, because I can't stand waiting two days for a 3pass wipe... ;-)

While with most controllers that I have used I would just delete the array and then recreate it as JBOD then run DBAN, some Dell servers won't allow that but apparently will allow you to set each drive as a RAID0 and run DBAN like THIS guy describes.

Thanks for the reply.  I just wrapped this up.

I didn't get to do a "thorough," wipe, or as thorough as I wanted.  I really wanted to use secure erase.  It was actually, and apparently built into the RAID card BIOS, way cool!  But it said drives not supported.  Meh.

I tried Hiren's BootCD, and it locked up getting into the Parted Magic App.  

Re-initializing the RAID groups, would have taken a day or more.  Yeah, this RAID card isn't fantastic, some on-board thing, AMI or something?  I just deleted the RAID groups, and called it a day.  

Mental note for the future, if you ain't billing for a couple days work onsite, it ain't worth it. ;-)