Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Toshiba Launches The Industry’s First 14TB CMR HDD

While SMR has allowed for much higher densities on HDD, it will be some time before the enterprise at large fully adopts the technology. However, the need for higher capacity drives is here now. The new MG07ACA comes in two capacities: a 14TB 9-disk and a 12TB 8-disk model. These helium HDDs are sealed using Toshiba Group’s laser welding technology. From a performance perspective, the drives utilize a SATA 6Gbit/s interface and 7,200rpm access performance. The new drives mark a 40% increase in capacity (up from the previous MG06ACA 10TB models) and a 50% improvement in power efficiency.

Toshiba Launches The Industry’s First 14TB CMR HDD

The HDD makers do aggressive patent licensing with each other. I think HGST came up with the first reliable helium seal design, and WD is selling some rebadged HGST models.

About the article, could you change "disk" to "platter"? "Disk" usually refers to the whole device - I've never before heard platters referred to as disks.

So they're up to the MG07 series, and leaped ahead to 14 TB in a performance drive. It sounds great, but I have yet to see the MG06 series (up to 10 TB) for sale anywhere. Even when I search by model number, all I find is the news announcements. Has anyone seen one in the wild?

Edited by reader50

On 12/8/2017 at 12:45 PM, reader50 said:

About the article, could you change "disk" to "platter"? "Disk" usually refers to the whole device - I've never before heard platters referred to as disks.

"Disk" was Toshiba's wording. I was walking the balance of using the nomenclature of the company versus traditional usage. A bit odd, and we will revert to using platter when discussing platters in the future.