Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

WD Unveils Its Microwave-Assisted Magnetic Recording Technology

MAMR is an energy-assisted technology, much like heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR). However, HAMR presents new material science and reliability challenges, this isn’t the case in MAMR. The core of this new technology is the “spin torque oscillator” used to generate a microwave field that increases the ability to record data at ultra-high density without sacrificing reliability, according to WD. The company goes on to state that using this technology they will be able to offer over 4 terabits-per-square-inch in time with HDDs hitting capacity of 40TB or more by 2025.

WD Unveils Its Microwave-Assisted Magnetic Recording Technology

HAMR and MAMR can't come fast enough. I'm not impressed with SMR, and both these techniques eliminate SMR. It doesn't matter if the magnetic field spreads out, since it only flips bits where the laser or microwave beams fall.

However, WD's projection of only 40TB by 2025 isn't very impressive. 8 years to triple capacity?

18 hours ago, reader50 said:

However, WD's projection of only 40TB by 2025 isn't very impressive. 8 years to triple capacity?

Those were my initial thoughts as well. 

Hah, that's a good point. I think when compared to 12TB available today, 40TB sounds like a large number. But we have SSDs that are 40TB today, so you're right, it's kinda meh. 

MAMR and SMR can be used at the same time, it doesn't eliminate manufacturers from using SMR.

It's about $/GB, so this sounds pretty good if it can maintain the current cost per gigabyte advantage of harddisks...

I'm curious if this will actually hit, reading the details on some other sites makes this look much more promising for near-term implementation than HAMR, and it may actually kill HAMR entirely, at least in near-term?

I'm thinking HAMR is too expensive to get reliable and so this is the next best (better?) option. We've talked with the HDD guys for years and they've always complained about the viability of HAMR.

Is it a engineering thing to make it reliable, or is it a cost thing to make it cheap enough to mass produce? From what little I've read it seems like the former, given the strain on the substrate of 400C+ temps. (I realize it's a somewhat related set of questions!)

It can't be impossible - Seagate plans to ship HAMR samples to their customers (I think this means OEM partners) this year, with product hitting the general market in 2018 or 2019.

This year we plan to ship some sample HAMR drives to a few of our customers and we plan on fully productizing the technology before the end of the decade.

Some time around 2018/2019 you will start to see the first HAMR drives appear on the market.