Adam_a

WD My Book Duo 20GB Review Discussion

The WD MyBook Duo 20TB gives users a massive amount of capacity, great for creative professionals that need it or for use as an easy backup solution. The device comes with support for both USB-A and USB-C, enabling it to work with most devices. Users are able to configure the MyBook Duo in RAID0, RAID1, or JBOD to tailor it to their specific use cases. The MyBook Duo easily opens for drive replacement/upgrade, and it leverages 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption as well as WD’s security software for added protection.

WD My Book Duo 20GB Review

listing USB-C Gen 1 as 10gbps makes me question every aspect of your otherwise positive review.

i personally would hold back a positive review for not providing a faster connection to such a massive storage device. - 20TB!

WD has priced this storage solution aggressively, but pairing it with old usb speeds when an affordable solution is already available is reason enough to NOT buy this storage unit which i plan to own for a long time.

it's a usb 3.x gen-1 is a non-starter for a premium device with RAID 0 - the overhead on USB's peak speeds makes this feature mute.

Edited by John Freiman

The harddisks inside can't saturate USB 3.1 Gen 1 at 5Gbps, so there would be only limited benefit at best to USB 3.1 Gen 2 at 10Gbps. SR's (limited) benchmarks show only ~364MB/sec in RAID0, which is within USB 3.1 Gen 1's transfer speeds-- or are you seeing more limitations than that in your own use? (if so, sources? I'd be curious, since I honestly haven't kept a very close eye on dual-drive external enclosures lately!)

I agree, you might see a limitation at peak speeds, but I wonder how much of that matters in typical customer use for these drives, given that sustained performance seems a more likely use case for a majority of the data transferred.

It doesn't matter really...unless you're daisy chaining a ton of devices together. 

So, again with the encryption that you can't turn off.  Controller in the enclosure goes bad and you lose all of your data.  Impossible to recover because the encryption is tied to the embedded controller.  I guess the only people that buy these are shucking the drives anyway or people that don't know any better.  

Hello everybody!

I'd like to buy the My Book Duo 6TB to use it on an iMac 5K 2017 in RAID 0 mode.

Do someone knows if, leaving it always switched on, is it always "seen" by the iMac, in any situation?

I mean, if I leave the My Book Duo always switched on and I restart the iMac or it wakes up from stop mode, do I need also to restart the My Book Duo or it's seen from the iMac?

I ask this because I assembled an external RAID system with a generic case bought from Amazon and two Seagate Barracuda HDDs and I always had to restart the RAID case because, when the iMac went in stop mode for more than a minute or I restarted it, the external drive wasn't seen by the iMac.

I'd like to "forget" the My Book, so I'd like to know if it will automatically start and stop, following the iMac switching on and off, without any other action from the user.

Last question: did someone test the My Book Duo speed, in RAID 0 mode, with Blackmagic Speed Disk Test (5GB files mode)?

I'd like to have a direct comparison between my "self made" system (350-360MB/Sec for writing and reading speed) and this My Book Duo, even if I know that writing and reading speeds are variable, depending from several factors.

Many thanks in advance to everybody!

Edited by Riccardo

It should be seen when the Mac is on...I don't know why the one you made didn't wake up. RAID0 is pretty much going to be 2x whatever HDD you use. I wouldn't expect much performance variation, or at least noticeable variation, from what you have already.

19 hours ago, Brian said:

It should be seen when the Mac is on...I don't know why the one you made didn't wake up. RAID0 is pretty much going to be 2x whatever HDD you use. I wouldn't expect much performance variation, or at least noticeable variation, from what you have already.

Hello Brian, thanks so much for your answer.

The case that I already have works perfectly if it's switched on after the iMac.

If I switch it before, my iMac doesn't see it.

It happens the same, as I wrote, if the iMac goes in stop for more than a minute: when I wake up the iMac, I see an error message about wrong HDD's eject operation and the HDD isn't there anymore; I must switch it off and on to see it again on my iMac.

About performance, in my actual RAID 0 case I've installed two 7.200 RPM drives (Seagate Barracuda) that works pretty fine (when they're seen...).

My doubt is about WD RED HDD speed, the disks that are inside My Book Duo: they're 5.400 RPM and I was asking about performances to know if it will be about the same, with minimal losts, or if I'll have a noticeable speed drop with this My Book Duo.

Thanks again!

It really depends on your activity, but if it's a lot of seq read and write, I think you'll be okay.