Adam_a

WD My Book Duo 20GB Review Discussion

The WD MyBook Duo 20TB gives users a massive amount of capacity, great for creative professionals that need it or for use as an easy backup solution. The device comes with support for both USB-A and USB-C, enabling it to work with most devices. Users are able to configure the MyBook Duo in RAID0, RAID1, or JBOD to tailor it to their specific use cases. The MyBook Duo easily opens for drive replacement/upgrade, and it leverages 256-bit AES Hardware Encryption as well as WD’s security software for added protection.

WD My Book Duo 20GB Review

listing USB-C Gen 1 as 10gbps makes me question every aspect of your otherwise positive review.

i personally would hold back a positive review for not providing a faster connection to such a massive storage device. - 20TB!

WD has priced this storage solution aggressively, but pairing it with old usb speeds when an affordable solution is already available is reason enough to NOT buy this storage unit which i plan to own for a long time.

it's a usb 3.x gen-1 is a non-starter for a premium device with RAID 0 - the overhead on USB's peak speeds makes this feature mute.

Edited by John Freiman

The harddisks inside can't saturate USB 3.1 Gen 1 at 5Gbps, so there would be only limited benefit at best to USB 3.1 Gen 2 at 10Gbps. SR's (limited) benchmarks show only ~364MB/sec in RAID0, which is within USB 3.1 Gen 1's transfer speeds-- or are you seeing more limitations than that in your own use? (if so, sources? I'd be curious, since I honestly haven't kept a very close eye on dual-drive external enclosures lately!)

I agree, you might see a limitation at peak speeds, but I wonder how much of that matters in typical customer use for these drives, given that sustained performance seems a more likely use case for a majority of the data transferred.

It doesn't matter really...unless you're daisy chaining a ton of devices together.