Sign in to follow this  
remi

Storage Spaces vs unRAID

I want to make a 100+TB NAS and i haven't decided between Storage Spaces or unRAID.

I will start with a few drives and will add a new drive (10TB) every 1 or 2 months. (This is why RAID(hardware) and freeNAS is not good for me)

For example in Storage Spaces when you add a new HDD to the pool,and the Drives are optimizing, if windows crashes, do you lose all the data on all drives ?
I'm thinking of a Dual parity (Failure tolerance 2 HDDs and Storage efficiency 50.0% - 80.0%.
The write speeds dont have to be fast at all. 
I'm much more interested in data security and second place is Storage efficiency, third is performance.

Spreadsheet of Pros and Cons

A huge Pro for unRAID : you can only lose data on the failed drive (depending on File Structure set up)
A huge Pro for Storage Spaces : very easy to setup&maintain and is Windows based (like everything else i own)

Edited by remi

i dont want to buy a NAS like Synology or Drobo, they have their disadvantages plus they are much more expensive.

I can build it cheaper and in the end, i will have 21 HDDs vs just 8

What kind of enclosure are you considering? 21 drives is a pretty decent amount, larger than what just about any desktop case will take along with standard (not-storage-oriented) rackmounts, but still a lot smaller than one of Blackblaze's (and similar) storage pods...

I modified a cosmos II to make it a raid storage / PC.   I was able to get 15 drives in it.   (I could possibly get about 2 more but I'm concerned about cooling to those top 2 bays).  My current system has 100TB at RAID5.   I'm building a new one which will be 150TB at RAID5 using 12TB drives.   It is reasonably quite but I put in about 11 noctua fans to keep it cool and quiet.   It's been up for about 1.5 years and I think it is great but it isn't well designed for shipping.  I think if I shipped it, I'd probably have to check the cables to make sure they are tight as I'm not using a backplane - just sata spider cables going to my controller.    I put in a good controller in my current system and I'm able to max out my 10gbit nic going to it.   I'm putting in a better raid controller on my next system and I'm hoping to be able to max out a dual 10gbit nic connection to it.

Edited by BOE

Sorry to necro an old thread here, though not by too much.  For future reference, never ship a system like you're describing assembled.  Pull the drives and pack them individually first, and then box as needed.  I've had indestructible things like power supplies and SSDs destroyed while shipping systems (in the past, lessons learned), and even crazy things like good Corsair fans falling off their motors.  That either takes serious impact, or days of terrible vibration.  Maybe plenty of both.  

We've had all flash arrays come in smashed int eh front with drive caddies bent. Very sad day, but 90% of what we get in the lab has drives inside the systems/arrays.

Shipping assembled is fine, but if you’re a system builder re-using the box the empty case came in... yeah, definitely be aware that that box and packaging are usually designed for the weight of an empty case and not that of a fully configured system.

Morals of the story: use appropriate packaging.