jacobacci

Largest 2.5" 12.5mm PMR drive?

Hi all

I am looking for 2 new HD for my HP 8770w portable workstation, to  be used in a RAID0 configuration. So SMR drives are out. What is the largest 2.5" 12.5mm PMR HD?

The Seagates >2TB are all 15mm high, the drives in the WD MyPassport are 4TB / 12.5mm, but seem to be SMR.

The 2TB Samsung M9T is PMR. I would be greatful for references to 12.5mm PMR disks >2TB if there are any.

Thanks a lot

Edited by jacobacci

Everything 2+TB is in the 15mm size. I'm waiting for 2+ in the 9.5mm size, so far no dice.

It's like they're waiting for SSD prices to fall enough. Then concede the 2.5" market.

Thanks guys

I did a bit more research and only came up with the Samsung M9T as being PMR, 12.5mm and 2TB. Nothing larger. The 4TB Samsung M10p is 15mm.

I have now settled on the M9T and will equip my 8770w with an mSATA for the OS and two M9T in RAID0 configuration. A M10p will go into an external exclosure, connected through USB3 / UASP. Should be good enough.

The M9T is 9.5mm, which shouldn't be a problem. I've had one in my laptop for a couple years now. It's been trouble-free.

note: the M9T has also been sold under the Seagate label, though the model number usually still has "M9T" somewhere in the text. Might give you more options to find better prices.

Edited by reader50