Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Synology Announces a Slate of new XS/Plus/Value-Series DiskStations and Surveillance Products Discussion

Synology has announced a slate of a new XS/Plus/Value-Series DiskStation NAS solutions, which is comprised of the DS3018xs, Synology’s first 6-bay tower NAS with optional 10GbE and NVMe SATA SSD support; the DS918+, DS718+ and DS218+, which are designed for intensive daily workloads; and the DS418, which features optimized 4K online transcoding capability. Also announced is a brand-new lineup of surveillance products, including NVR1218, an all-in-one, standalone surveillance solution; and the VS960HD, a compact surveillance monitoring and management device.

Synology Announces a Slate of new XS/Plus/Value-Series DiskStations and Surveillance Products

I assume the proliferation of higher bay counts (and growing popularity of RAID solutions) is caused by hard drive sizes not growing fast enough. Over the last decade, storage has hit several stalls. But data needs have continued to grow, especially with higher video resolutions. The consolidation of HDD manufacturers down to 3 didn't help.

The need for 2-stage positioning motors for higher track counts. Took 2 years to solve, though the introduction of PMR halfway through reduced the pain.

The 7200.11 fiasco. Afterwards everyone went super-cautious on new model introductions. Because they didn't want to make the same mistake. This also caused the proliferation of 5400/5900 RPM drives, when they had been going extinct in the 3.5" size.

The Malaysian floods. Plus the jacked prices after the floods, which the manufacturers liked so much, they foot-dragged on restoring production volume. Result: instead of taking their predicted 6-months to return to normal, it took 2 years before prices returned to pre-flood levels. Their financials showed excellent results over this period.

The current state, where they introduce bigger drives again. Without cutting the prices on existing sizes. So you can buy bigger or existing sizes, but your price-per-TB hardly budges.

Competition from SSDs would help. But they've been in their own stall for almost two years now. Bigger sizes are introduced, but demand has grown rapidly. You'd think new flash factories would come online fast enough to relieve the pressure.

I've been waiting two years to upgrade, but the price stalls on HDDs and SSDs have caused me to hold off. I'm still waiting for a correction to hit.