Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adam_a

WD To Acquire Tegile

3 posts in this topic

Roughly two years ago, WD made another major acquisition when it bought its competitor SanDisk for $19 billion. That acquisition gave WD SanDisk’s flash technology. The acquisition today brings in Tegile’s award winning IntelliFlash architecture. Tegile states that IntelliFlash is a comprehensive storage platform that delivers storage at the speed of flash memory. Not only will WD gain new technology and a new portfolio of products, it also gains 1,700 new customers and an experienced team through the acquisition.

WD To Acquire Tegile

I see no light at the end of the tunnel here for Tegile customers, what little of them there are. Tegile wasn't recognized all that much by gartner, and in terms of marketshare per IDC, I think they were in the "other," category. I wish them the best.  As a customer, I don't think I would invite WD to the table when considering storage decisions.  

In a way, they are lucky. Look at the other stuggling AFA players, hungry for deals, attacking the competition with negative info/FUD; yet deep down many of them built their business to be acquired; only to find there are not that many suitors left if any.

I have no visibility into what WD's plans are from a systems perspective, but fighting against your OEM customers doesn't seem like a good idea to me.