Adam_a

Unified Storage Appliance Powered by Nexenta & Supermicro Review Discussion

Though it is quite a mouthful, the Unified Storage Appliance powered by Nexenta and Supermicro is a software-defined storage solution that combines Nexenta’s software (NexentaStor 5.0 and NexentaFusion) with Supermicro’s hardware, sales, and support infrastructure. This partnering brings a validated, pre-loaded, and pre-configured complete solution out of the box, which is somewhat unique for a typically software-first solution. The companies offer several different flavors in both all-flash (for performance) and hybrid models (for higher capacity and cost-effectiveness). There are also half-populated and fully-populated configurations within each category and all have the ability to add two JBODs for additional storage. The solution comes with support from Supermicro and the platform offers enough data services and dials to turn to cover most use cases.

Unified Storage Appliance Powered by Nexenta and Supermicro Review

Where are you running NexentaFusion?  From what I've seen, it has to be run on some separate system or in a VM like vCenter.  Wasn't sure if this setup provided some other way of running it because the article is written to make it seem like it's turnkey.

It was using that. Setup itself wasn't too long so for all practical reasons it's pretty close to turn key.

Is the bad write performance due to ZFS copy on write limitations? I'm very curious why the latency spikes so soon. Did you also speak with Nexenta ( Andy )?

On 8/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, churnd said:

Thanks.  Does Fusion require a lot of resources?

Minimal, I'm not sure it consumed more than a couple hundred MHz during the time we had it going in the background.

3 hours ago, RobertG said:

Is the bad write performance due to ZFS copy on write limitations? I'm very curious why the latency spikes so soon. Did you also speak with Nexenta ( Andy )?

We've been working with the Nexenta team over the duration of that review and they are still working on it internally. Should hopefully find out more soon on that topic.

• Like 2

Awesome. I'm looking to upgrade my current setup ( also nexenta running on HP gen8, but limited on the SAS bus because of the HP 12G HBA not being compatible with Nexenta ). What doe a setup like this cost ~?

3 hours ago, Kevin OBrien said:

Minimal, I'm not sure it consumed more than a couple hundred MHz during the time we had it going in the background.

We've been working with the Nexenta team over the duration of that review and they are still working on it internally. Should hopefully find out more soon on that topic.

Minimal, wow.  I recall reading somewhere that it required 16GB RAM.

20 hours ago, RobertG said:

Awesome. I'm looking to upgrade my current setup ( also nexenta running on HP gen8, but limited on the SAS bus because of the HP 12G HBA not being compatible with Nexenta ). What doe a setup like this cost ~?

You'd have to email Supermicro. Unfortunately we can't discuss the pricing of this system.

• Like 1