Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adam_a

QNAP Goes To Kickstarter With Its New Computing Accelerator

3 posts in this topic

The Mustang-200 aims to accelerate computations, calculations, and applications by placing two Intel Core (i5-7267U or i7-7567U) processors, 16GB of ram, and two NVMe SSDs (Intel 600P series) on a PCIe card. The Mustand-200 can be installed in both PCs and servers through a PCIe slot and interconnected with a 10GbE connection (it needs to proprietary hardware). The accelerator is ideal for render farms, multi-channel video transcoding and streaming, academic research, and experimentation. Users can potentially add as many accelerators as they have PCIe slots for.

QNAP Goes To Kickstarter With Its New Computing Accelerator

Software is the hard part, I assume QNAP's existing OS can already make use of it?

Only other hard part is that for some of the applications you're talking about, you may want a GPU instead of two 2C/4T low-TDP Kaby Lake cores, so I wonder how much performance and how many actual sales they'll see from this. The relatively low TDP seems like it might be the most fundamental performance issue compared to the cost.

This is an interesting concept and surprisingly to me, that article got a ton of reads. Acceleration cards have a checkered past though, pretty difficult to get just right, especially for a mass audience.