Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JaredDM

Most Common RAID Controllers

3 posts in this topic

I'm working on a project to deconstruct how a number of common RAID controllers write metadata to the disks to keep track of the RAID config.  Working in pro data recovery, I'm doing this to try to speed up our work when various array types come in and we have to reverse engineer them.

So I'm just curious what you all think are the most common controllers out there.

Currently, I've got the full spread of Areca cards figured out, as well as Perc 6, Perc H710, HP Smart Array cards, a number of Adaptec cards, LSI MegaRAID, etc..  I'm just looking for other common ones typically used in small to medium business servers.  I'm not so concerned about big enterprise stuff, as they usually are smart enough to have a backup.  I just figure it's better to reverse engineer them now than have to race against the clock when 20 drives show up for recovery and it needs to be done in two days.

So what cards have you seen used a lot?

Edited by JaredDM

LSI 9200 and 9300 series I'd say are more common than dirt. Most haven't changed dramatically over the years either. Getting those versus Adaptec will basically cover the majority of the market.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:55 AM, Kevin OBrien said:

LSI 9200 and 9300 series I'd say are more common than dirt. Most haven't changed dramatically over the years either. Getting those versus Adaptec will basically cover the majority of the market.

Thanks, I added those to my list of cards to bring in and analyze.  If anyone else has other common ones to suggest, please let me know.