mike.christensen

HPE MSA 2042 vs NetApp E-2724

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I've got a HP G7 2 node cluster running on NetApp FAS just now.  The site is not compute intensive, with some licence servers, AD, Printer, DNS, etc, and Exchange.  However, they have a relatively large storage requirement - approx. 12TB and it needs to be fast (not all-flash fast, but responsive).  

I'm contemplating renewing this with G9 hosts directly attached with 10G iScsi using either an HP MSA 2042 or NetApp E-2724.  Both are almost identical commercially.

They seem fairly similar, although the MSA offers more drive compatibility and uses re-direct on write.  Both specs have SSD cache.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks.

Why not another FAS system?  While I personally think NetApp storage is long in the tooth when it comes to innovation, and slow as a company to make good strategic acquisitions...  Their FAS line is tried and true, solid, and most importantly, their data services are 2nd to none.  And getting a 12TB usable all flash system is not a bad investment at all.  You throw out performance issues, right out the door in most all cases.  I've seen quotes of 20TB RAW from the big storage vendors all under $50K for all-flash.

The MSA systems are nice, we have a lot os hands on experience there via Dot Hill. We're actually about to review the refreshed HPE MSA system, should have it in a few weeks. We're also reviewing the NetApp AFF A200 right now, beauty of a system. I know you're not looking at all flash, but it's probably worth pricing out a tiny one to see if you can make it work. In the end though, you already know NetApp. With similar pricing, I don't see a reason to move to a new platform.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Totally agree re: FAS and NetApp as a company.  Reason for ditching FAS is firstly, budget constraint and also because the plan is to migrate CIFS shares from NetApp to a windows file server (as we have Quest Auditor licensing for this).

All-flash is nice and relatively cheap these days, but my budget is about half that :-(

@Brian am I right in thinking that the later MSA firmware has auto tiering for data as well as SSD caching?

Thanks,

Mike.

Yes, MSA has that goodness. Our system is coming with 2 SSDs installed and a second set of 2 we can add if we want to test with a little more flash. We're pretty excited to see the new controllers, the last set was good, so not sure how much improvement there will be...we'll see. For an entry storage box, it's pretty hard to beat MSA, especially if you're getting a nice price ;)