ancan

MegaRAID SAS 9264-8i Supported RAID-levels

Hi,

I recently bought a MegaRAID SAS 9264-8i on eBay for use in my ESXi-server. I choose that card because it was on vmware's list of supported controllers, and the price was good. According to the sellers description is will do RAID 5 and RAID 6, which seems plausible since it's using on the same SAS2108-controller as 9260  and many many more.

However, I cannot get this card to do anything else than RAID 0,1 or 10. I've tried crossflashing it to a 9260-8i, but same thing, and even tried making it into a DELL Perc h700, but I still only get to pick between RAID 1's and 0's. I've got six 120GB SSD's connected to it and they are detected just fine, so the disks should be OK for R6. 

Do anyone know anything about this controller, or why I cannot get R6 on it? Is it hardware limitied or do I need an activation key to turn on the rest of the RAID-levels?

Thanks,

A

Have you been able to find any specific documentation that card (smells like it's a Dell special?)? Especially regarding a possible activation key for additional features? I don't think it's a standard LSI product so something may be nerfed in the firmware.

Any idea if it's closer to the 9266-8i?

7 hours ago, continuum said:

Have you been able to find any specific documentation that card (smells like it's a Dell special?)? Especially regarding a possible activation key for additional features? I don't think it's a standard LSI product so something may be nerfed in the firmware.

Any idea if it's closer to the 9266-8i?

I think that if it's anything it's a NEC card. There's plenty of them on eBay, and they often state RAID 5 and 6 in the description.

This NEC-paper however, says "RAID 0/1" (page 15): http://www.nec.com/en/global/prod/express/rack/r110d-1e/collateral/R110d-1E_CG.pdf

If it's firmware-nerfed it seems to be deep in the LSI-parts, because as I wrote, no matter which f/w i flash, I only get RAID 1,0 and 10.

9266-8i have a never controller (SAS2208).