Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Samsung SM951 m.2 vs Samsung 960 EVO m.2

Currently using a Samsung SM951 M.2 as a boot drive.

Thinking of replacing it with a newer Samsung 960 EVO M.2 as a boot drive.

What is the differences between the SM951 and 960 EVO?

Technological differences or actual performance? Reviews cover both areas fairly well.

What sort of use? If this is typical or even enthusiast desktop use, you're not going to see a difference in actual use short of timing everything with a stopwatch for benchmarks...

Agreed, really no reason outside of capacity to replace a more or less modern SSD. 

On 5/24/2017 at 2:53 PM, continuum said:

Technological differences or actual performance? Reviews cover both areas fairly well.

What sort of use? If this is typical or even enthusiast desktop use, you're not going to see a difference in actual use short of timing everything with a stopwatch for benchmarks...

I was thinking of replacing my current Samsung SM951 M.2 (AHCI) 256GB boot drive with the Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (NVMe) 500GB,

as I need the extra space for all my music (& music videos) collection, I prefer to keep my music on an SSD drive (over a HDD) for faster access.

And the current 256GB is just not enough, for boot files & programs & music.

Though about just adding a separate 2.5" SATA 3 SSD 256GB drive, but figured buying the 960 EVO and seliing off the SM951 does not cost much more.

Also figured the 960 EVO would work with more feature of Samsung Magician software, compraed the OEM SM951.