plstech

Swap Hard Drives - Veeam Backup

6 posts in this topic

Hello All!

Fairly new to things here and still trying to get my footing. When i started at my workplace previous admin set up 3 HP Proliant DL360 Gen 9 Esxi 6.0 servers.

At the time budget was an issue so they put 8 - 300GB 10K SAS Hard Drives in. VM's were set up on the three servers with one dedicated to Veeam Backup.

Now space has become an issue and we have purchased 8 1TB 7.2K SAS hard drives to swap out.

I am having difficulty finding information online for the procedure to swap out all the drives. I believe the Veeam setup information is stored on the 100GB RAM and that just all the VM Backups are stored on the Drives.

I want to be able to do this without minimum time down and without losing any data.

Thanks in advance!Capture.JPG

Lets take a step back, is this storage presented raw to the Veeam side, or is it formatted as a datastore with the Veeam VM loaded onto it?

1 person likes this

HI Kevin,

First thanks for the fast response. I believe it is formatted as a datastore with Veeam VM loaded onto ( See attachment)

I have not done alot with the backup or servers other than basic troubleshooting. It is 3 Esxi servers with 7 VM's on 2 of them ( print server, file server, Domain controllers,etc.)

On the third esxi server it is solely for Veeam,

Veeam.JPG

Since these are all located on existing datastores, you best bet is going to be doing storage svmotions, getting the existing stuff migrated to spare volumes. Once that is done, blow away your current datastores, then create your new ones. In no way should you consider doing a RAID expansion with this data. You don't want to blow away your backups accidentally.

RAID expansions put the array into a degraded state while the disks rebuild for each disk in the array as they are swapped out. You are rolling the dice multiple times doing this, and even if a disk doesn't fail there isn't any guarantee the raid expansion capability even works without errors.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the information. Is it difficult to delete and set up new datastores? If you have any helpful links that would be terrific.

I was hoping i could just power down, pull out the current HD's and insert the new ones and run through set up but sounds as though it is much more complicated than that.

Thanks again for the info!

Its not too difficult, but it is a pretty detail-oriented step through process. Deleting once the data is off the drives is easy. But you need to know how to transfer the data off and confirm its off. On the storage side, you need to know how to navigate the RAID card pre-boot setup interface. If you just pull drives and insert new ones the server will freak out and not do anything.

You need to delete old RAID group, add new drives, init them or flag as for use in RAID, then put them into a RIAD group that makes sense based on their capacity and usage profile. This means knowing when and why to pick RAID10, RAID6 as well as block size and read/write cache. Then you init the disk grounp, go back into VMware, find the unformatted volume and make that into your new Datastore.