Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Holg

HD for Streaming Media and Documents

5 posts in this topic

I have a 250GB and 64GB SSD for my OS, Apps and games and a 2TB Seagate from 2011 for documents and media for streaming to a Roku. The Seagate is dying so should I replace it with something like a WD Black or NAS drive like WD Red or Deskstar NAS? The computer is on most of the day but the hard drive wont be accessed often unless streaming.

For what you're doing, the low cost alternative is probably the right call. I certainly wouldn't pay up for a 7200RPM drive.

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

For what you're doing, the low cost alternative is probably the right call. I certainly wouldn't pay up for a 7200RPM drive.

Any specific recommendations?  There are too many dang makes/models to choose from.  My main concern is reliability, like you said for my application speed is not a necessity.

If it's me, I'd just buy on price at the capacity point you want to hit. In quantity of one, it won't matter. Personally, I prefer HGST, but again, everyone has their favorite/horror story. Just back up whatever you buy and all will be good.

I too like HGST.  Just grab an affordable 3-4TB drive, which seems like the sweet spot these days for cost, and be done with it.