Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adam_a

Intel Optane Memory Review Discussion

5 posts in this topic

The Intel Optane Memory is a M.2 SSD paired with its own caching software that will accelerate HDDs, especially high capacity HDDs, in a desktop PC. While Intel says this is good news for certain crowds such as gamers that want to keep several games on their system with more cost-effective HDDs, that argument goes out the window with cost effective SSDs completely saturating the market. It also introduces some issues. For one, the Optane Memory isn’t something that can just be dropped into existing computers or gaming rigs. In order to get the benefit, users would buy a new supported platform, instead of buying just an SSD and dropping it into any computer. Another issue is how much the performance will actually make a difference in most use cases. With just 16GB or 32GB of flash capacity, not everything will always be in cache the first time. That means for many users their daily routine will take a step back in time, almost decade to be precise, to before even the Intel X25-M came to the market and hard drives ruled the land.

Intel Optane Memory Review

The 4k random is the main reason to buy this Optane Memory. I guess the fact that for day to day use, most consumer workloads are where  Optane is strong, which is a mark in this thing's favor.

But in other regards, it doesn't do much better than SSDs. Yeah, 32GB is too small. Even many games are bigger these days than 32GB for example. It is really expensive nad hard to justify for what you get though. You could get a much bigger TLC SATA SSD for the same price.

It might be interesting to see what Micron releases under the QuantX brand - same 3D XPoint, perhaps a different controller though.

Edited by CrazyElf

I think Micron will forgo this silly cache idea and just go straight to a traditional SSD package.

5 hours ago, Brian said:

I think Micron will forgo this silly cache idea and just go straight to a traditional SSD package.

Do you mean by use Optane in a U.2 with a larger storage or as an SSD cache the way DRAM is?

Intel wants "Optane Memory" to be used with their cache software, though you can use it without as a tiny SSD if you want. I'm just saying I think the idea is dumb and they should have just waited to launch a proper SSD. That's probably what Micron will do, instead of trying the interim step that Intel is taking. My read is that the Optane media is just not ready for prime time yet but Intel is trying to build it's brand in the interim.