Adam_a

LaCie Introduces 2big Dock With Thunderbolt 3

Two things that a storage device needs to make creative professionals' lives easy are storage and speed: the 2big has both. This updated device has a maximum capacity of 20TB (a 25% increase over the previous version). 20TB can translate into up to 650 hours of 4K 30fps footage or 200,000 raw images. But having a ton of capacity and slow transfer times is no good, so the 2big now uses the Thunderbolt 3 interface to hit speeds of up to 440MB/s or roughly transfer one hour of 4K footage in one minute. Another benefit of higher speeds is the lack of lag when browsing photo libraries in Adobe Lightroom.

LaCie Introduces 2big Dock With Thunderbolt 3

Is Thunderbolt 3 any real benefit to this device when you have 2x 7,200 rpm HDDs pre installed. Even in RAID 0 the read / write speeds are going to be far below the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3.

I get the fact that it will be used as a dock for laptops, but besides that the interface makes it very expensive for what it is. (Think they were talking $800 for 12TB and $1300 for 20TB).

Thunderbolt 3 on 6big and 12big I get, but on this... ?

Edited by Roobarb_

Some people like it I think for the bandwidth that ca pass through if you daisy chain a bunch of crap together. But yes, for this use, TB3 doesn't do a lot to help.