BOE

USB NVME SSD storage?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I image a lot of computers.  It would be very handy for me to have a USB device I could put nvme drives in.   I realize usb won't give me their full speed - I just need them for imaging.

Anyone know of one or of any that are coming out?  It doesn't matter to me if they are usb 3.0 or type c.

Thanks.

The new WD *might* have the Black inside it, we don't have one yet to test. I haven't seen any accessories to do what you want. I'd guess though that Samsung will hook you up with a proper option this year. I don't have any special insight, but the trajectory makes sense.

The controllers do exist, such as:

https://www.broadcom.com/products/pcie-switches-bridges/usb-pci/usb-controllers/usb3380

. The controller can easily add a USB 3.0 client port to an existing PCI Express system, as well as convert an existing PCI Express function (endpoint) to a USB 3.0 product.

(assuming I'm reading the spec sheet right-- although that one doesn't say anything about supporting NVMe...)

However I haven't looked for such a product...

If your system supports Thunderbolt, that might be easier, since TB carries PCI-e natively...

I used to be in the position to image dozens of machines a week, limited only by my workbench, which could do about 5 at a time.

The best imaging performance for me was off of Isilon NAS and NetApp NAS devices, that had hundreds of spindles behind it, a lot of front end cache, over a 10GbE uplink split to a 1GbE switch....  Not exactly a fare comparison I know.  But even lower end windows based file servers, that had a 15 bay DAS attached to it, could do better than any local USB drive at the time.  

Today's USB 3.1 SSD systems can do pretty damn good, over 300+MB/s of read speed for large block data, and when talking imaging, often we're talking sub 50GB images so that should be pretty darn quick.  If you're really imaging a lot of machines, nothing can beat cache and spindle count.  How about a sustained 300+MB/s across 10 machines simultaneously.  That is a time saver!  I used to work for a couple of different companies that did network imaging too, it was fun to deploy 50 computers in a lab and show them how fast each day I could re-image and re-profile desktops...  Ah the good ole days..  Never again!

I'm frequently imaging from my laptop when I'm at a client.  My laptop has a thunderbolt 3 connector on it if you think you can find a thunderbolt adapter to PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.1   (1 notch- not the older 2 notch connector)

Edited by BOE

No idea if it will do NVMe, but there's a couple of external PCI-e GPU enclosures out there that should work in theory. You'd probably need a M.2 to PCI-e adapter card to fit inside the enclosure, and I don't know if any or all need external power.