Sign in to follow this  
xSTLx

Vista Support Ending - Microsoft Cripples Via Update?

With Vista support from Microsoft creeping up on us (ends 04/11/17) it seems the last round of updates have created an issue within Vista.  My unfortunate feeling is that Microsoft will not be releasing a new round of updates to correct this problem before support ends in a few short days.  If it were one machine I would not necessarily blame Microsoft update however all six of my current computers run Vista Ultimate 32-bit except one that runs Vista 32-bit business and they all inherited this problem at around the same time a few weeks ago, never had this issue before now.  Upon starting windows a process called svchost sucks 100% of cpu resources, then upon ending of this process immediately a new process called Racagent takes its place and sucks 100% cpu, upon ending this process the computer will operate normally for about 20 minutes or until a restart at which time this starts all over again with svchost.  I have taken steps to alleviate these processes and they still keep showing back up.  I have followed information online regarding these processes and nothing seems to permanently get rid of them.  This is getting very frustrating every time I try to use my computers, fighting this thing.  Any insight is much appreciated.........

Upon starting windows a process called svchost sucks 100% of cpu resources,

svchost is just a generic starting process -- the DLL's actually run are linked off it, can you download ProcessExplorer or some other diagnostic tools to determine what processes are actually being run?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost.exe

In

Windows Vista and Windows 7, a "Services" tab in Windows Task Manager includes a list of services and their groups and Process IDs (PIDs); right-clicking on a svchost instance in the Task Manager and selecting "Go to Services(s)" also switches to the list of services and additionally selects the services running under the corresponding svchost instance.

agreed on the troubleshooting tools mentioned above.  you can expand on what svchost is being called by through 3rd party means.  racagent is a windows executable.  which seems to have a lot of issues as evident by a quick google search.

Vista is also a 10yr old OS...  There is something to be said for supporting something as old as that.  But I digress.

Well I do agree to some extent, this is going to cost me more money than just for the windows media.

Thank you all for the advice as well, due to these and other issues as well as support ending I opted to upgrade my machine to Windows 8.1 PRO and even though my machine meets the system requirements on the box when I try to install it says my processor needs to be upgraded, my processor does not support physical address expansion, thus windows 8.1 cannot be installed.  I am running a Pentium M 1.8ghz w/ 2gb RAM.

There has to be some way around this blockade?

I am guessing Windows 10 being a newer version would have this same limitation issue?

The Pentium M started around early 2002/2003, for about 5yrs.  It hasn't been in production like Vista for about 10yrs.  Frankly, it's time to upgrade.  It doesn't even support a 64bit OS!  

Even going to Windows 8.1 seems like an odd choice, when 10 is out and has been solid and stable.  New PC's with more clock speed, more ram, more cores can be had for under $300.  It'll even come with a copy of WIndows in many cases.  I'm currently using a 5yr old AMD powered system with 8GB of RAM and 6 cores, and it's plenty for my general web stuff, transcoding videos, and a run a linux VM or two as needed.

Edited by mitchm3
  • Like 1