ovrspec

Age of newly purchased disks

I have just taken delivery of two 4TB HGST UltraStar 7K4000 drives that I purchased this week, all good except when I cut them out of their anti static bags I was shocked to see that the sticker on the drives says "JAN-2014". If I'm not mistaken (?) that's the month/year of manufacture.

Every other drive I've purchased in the past was made at least in the same year, this is the first time I've had 3+ year old drives delivered, should I be concerned about the reliability of these drives? The model comes with a 5 year warranty, but still...

You can run SMART tools to ensure they're new, but I'd not worry. 

I wouldn't worry either, especially when it involves HGST. These are exceptionally good drives, hence the 5 year warranty. In February 2016 I bought 2 3TB HGST drives, both of them produced also in 2014. They're running non-stop ever since, in a small business server, and are in perfectly good condition SMART wise.

For your peace of mind, have a look at the Blackblaze's stats:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

HGST drives have extremely low failure rates, around 1%, some models way bellow 1%. Their price and the 5 year warranty are well justified.

Out of curiosity, which retailer were they from? I generally don't worry much about manufacturer date on drives, but "new" "old" stock that old is unusual.

Thanks for the responses, the disks are definitely brand new and unused (power on hours = 0). I got them from Scan, a well respected supplier in the uk. 

syn-disk7.png

Scan are out of stock of HGST drives now.  I bought a https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/DS_NAS_ds.pdf

OSO4005 which is in the post, but its the newer version of OSO3665, one of which I have already.

I was looking for an identical drive to the one I have but amazon suggested a similar drive and it was a no brainer, newer version + double the 64Mb cache of older one.

Edited by SgtSixpack