Sign in to follow this  
BOE

Any good articles on how far away we are from affordable large SSDs?

Hello,

I store large amounts of data and was just curious if there were any good projections on how far away we are from seeing 8TB SSDs in the same cost per GB as spindle drives.   I realize there is no way to see the future but there might be some good educated projections from people in the industry.   I realize they do now make 8, 16 and 60 TB enterprise SSDs that cost as much as a car.   I'd love to replace my current 100TB array (16x8TB RAID 5) with a much quieter SSD array within the next 4 years.

We see a lot of roadmaps and the funny thing is they never include pricing targets. I wouldn't expect a lot of downward pricing pressure on SSDs, we're actually seeing prices rise in some sectors. I'm afraid your dream of high capacity client drives is some time away, not for technical reasons, but just because they're going to be so expensive and without volume...the sweet spot for some time is going to continue to be 240GB and 480GB class drives. It may take QLC NAND to make that happen.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!   My dream is to have my 100TB movie collection on a drive the size of a stick of gum :)    That being said I'd love to replace my 16 3.5" spindle drives with 16 2.5" ssd satas.

Do they make 2.5" SSD sas drives?

Of course, but they're enterprise grade and much more costly. That's where you see guys like HPE and NetApp using the 15TB Samsung drives in their arrays. I'm sure you could snag one for $30,000 ;)

AUGGH - you're killing me:)

I need to win a powerball lottery or something!   And yes, if I did win some big lottery thingy I would blow probably $200,000 on computer equipment.  Oh and a house in which to put it!

Edited by BOE