Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vx7986

Will a Dell PowerVault work with a Dell Optiplex 780 SFF?

6 posts in this topic

I would like to know if the Dell PowerVualt will work with the Dell Optiplex 780 SFF? Here's a couple of PowerVault models that I was considering:

Dell PowerVault LTO4-120 - 0X69MX
Dell PowerVault LTO-4 - 0XW272

If yes, how would I be able to do it? I would like to know if it's possible.

Do you have a PCIe slot open? Most of those tape units require a external SAS connection on the computer you are connecting it to for communication.

I think those are external from the model? I'm not 100% sure, but if they're external they might work-- I don't think the optical drive bay in the SFF is deep enough to fit an internal one (it might be, but I haven't checked).

Either was as Kevin said you'll need a SAS PCI-e controller card. Half-height since that's all the SFF chassis allows.

11 hours ago, Kevin OBrien said:

Do you have a PCIe slot open? Most of those tape units require a external SAS connection on the computer you are connecting it to for communication.

Yes, it does (PCIe x16). Do you have any recommendations on an affordable SAS PCI-e controller card? 

11 hours ago, continuum said:

I think those are external from the model? I'm not 100% sure, but if they're external they might work-- I don't think the optical drive bay in the SFF is deep enough to fit an internal one (it might be, but I haven't checked).

Either was as Kevin said you'll need a SAS PCI-e controller card. Half-height since that's all the SFF chassis allows.

Yes, they're external.

The cheapest thing that came to mind is the LSI 9200 series:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252140860944?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Dell probably has an OEM version of it, but the LSI retail one will work. Just look for the one with the "e" in the name, meaning it has the external port.