Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

Intel Releases Optane Memory

Intel Optane Memory sits in between the system's memory and the storage. According to Intel, user will see up to 28% faster overall system performance, up to 14 times the performance of storage, up to 6 times the performance on certain applications, and gamers can see games launch 18% faster and level loads up to 58% faster. Optane Memory speeds application and large file load times by ensuring the data contained in a PC’s storage is more readily accessible, which means an overall faster, more responsive experience. 

Intel Releases Optane Memory

That drive write per day doesn't seem too much 32 GB on 100 GB/writes per day - that's barely 3 DWPD, which is about the same as an enterprise TLC SSD. That falls well short of expectations IMO of 3D XPoint's claimed endurance and certainly nowhere near DRAM.

I wonder if these are low binned 3D XPoint.

I'm sure given the price point. At the launch event we toyed around with one of the modules in a Nuk. It worked well anecdotally. I'm not sure endurance will be an issue in this specific use case. When the SSDs come out later this year for client systems, that will be another matter.