Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CougTek

vSAN on Dell FX2 vs Dell/EMC VxRail

4 posts in this topic

I've received some offers related to my previous topic to improve our current servers, but I'm not completly sold on what I've been presented so far.  I wasn't considering VMWare before, mainly because I thought it cost too much, but I've since done my homeworks and it's really not that bad, at least at first view.

I read Kevin mentionning that he really liked the Dell FX2 and a recent article here about the VxRail was quite flattering too.  I hesitate between an FX2 as a base for a vSAN installation or simply go for the VxRail.  I really like the form factor of the FX2, but the integration of the VxRail is superior.

For the FX2, I'd go with 4x FC430 and two FD33x storage units.  I plan to go all-flash.  I'm pretty sure that if I ask a Dell representative, he'll push me on the VxRail.  Sales people are often lazy and the least SKU they have to search for at similar price point, the more likely they are to opt for it.

One thing to consider: I already have enough hardware for my DR site and it's all HPE (3 nodes sharing an MSA 2040 SAN).  I don't know if the integration of the VxRail would prevent me to setup the DR using a vSAN on the HPE hardware.  I don't think it would be a problem with a vSAN on FX2 though.

Thoughts?

I have ran into many a customer issue with VSAN ready nodes, and complete outages and data loss.  Many of them Dell, Pre-EMC merger.

They are too busy to sell inventory, and not bother engineering a correct solution.

EMC on the other hand with vxrail goes knee deep in building a proper solution, with growth factored in, as well as performance factored in.  

I would suggest you speak to the legacy EMC folks and not legacy Dell folks.  

Thanks.  That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Regarding the DR site, they won't care that it's HPE gear. They will however try to sell you a second VxRail ;)

The FX2 is a neat platform, I'm a little sad Dell hasn't done more with it. vSAN has good potential, but they haven't marketed it that way, preferring now to lead with VxRail.