Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wudstock

3ware
3Ware 9550SXU-12 help

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, I hope I can ask a question about my 3Ware 9550SXU-12 SATA controller. Let me just say after purchasing it I quickly realized I should have looked for a newer card.

Here's my setup: Dell Poweredge 2800, 9550SXU-12 SATA controller with 9 drives connected (3 are 3tb drives, the rest are 1tb). Since there is data already on the drives I had to set them up as JBOD because 'Single Disk' mode will wipe the drives. (I know JBOD sucks and I will be updating my drives over time and turning them into 'Single Disks' instead)

I knew with the 3tb drives I would have to turn on Auto-Carve to use them, but that doesn't seem to be working as I still see them as 746gb. The main issue is with the 3 (3tb) drives I have. One of the three is recognized in Windows just fine. The other two are seen as RAW and not accessible at all. (That's why I think auto-carve isn't working because I should have 4 drives instead of 2) The drives are as follows:

Working: Toshiba HDWD130 (7200 RPM, SATA III)

Not working: WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 and WD30EZRX-00SPEB0 (Both 5400 RPM, SATA III)

My question is would RPMs on the drives be an issue that might cause something like this? Other than the manufacturer, that's the only difference between them.

Any help on this would be appreciated immensely

Russ K

I tried dusting off some old memories to help you, but I'm empty. Asked Kevin, also dry. It's getting harder and harder to support legacy gear like this, especially when the raid card vendor is no more...aren't they Broadcom now? Anyway, good luck, sorry we couldn't help more.

If some show up I would think you should be on WRT firmware compatibility, but RAID can be more fickle than anything... unfortunately I don't have much specific experience with the 9550SX, mostly the one before (9500, I think it was).

As Brian said for anything that old you might be SOL...