Sign in to follow this  
amp323

NAS vs Surveillance drive on HTPC

Hello everyone,

I need to replace a bad drive on my HTPC and was wondering what my best option would be? I was thinking of a NAS drive because of the 24/7 a=feature but then saw the new surveillance drives and was wondering if these were better for my usage. I mainly use the HTPC for DVR purposes with WMC and the occasional web browsing. The OS is on a separate SSD and the drive I need to replace is mainly for DVR and media storage. Thanks for any response.

Between the two I'd go with what's cheapest ;)

Really though, they're quite similar mechanically. The NAS drives have more hours on them globally, may be a better choice from a reliability standpoint. 

• Like 1

Hi, amp323. This is the official Seagate Forums Team. In the end, it will be up to you to decide which product best fits your needs, considerations, and price point, but we would like to offer some input on your questions regarding whether a NAS product or surveillance product would be better for your use case. You mentioned that one of the main uses for your drive which you are replacing is going to be for DVR use/storage. The primary benefit of a surveillance drive such as Seagate's SkyHawk series, for example, is that it is built and optimized for constantly writing, if you are going to be doing something along the lines of recording roughly 90% of the time and playing back video the other 10%, this is what these type of drives excel at. A NAS drive on the other hand, such as Seagate's IronWolf series, is optimized for high performance in environments where it is important that information be readily accessible as quickly as possible, such as in a cloud environment or a home network in a NAS storage solution so that multiple users/devices can have quick, reliable access to centralized information. It is optimized to be constantly up and running at a moment's notice, and to be used in RAID boxes. 

If you would like more in-depth information on this, feel free to visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JORAaU95YZ8

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

Edited by seagate_surfer