mahenthiran

My WD desktop hard drive dropped. Not detecting in computer

23 posts in this topic

Hi, i am having a WD 500 GB desktop internal hard drive. Few days ago it was fell down in the floor (from 1 feet distance).

After that i connected to my computer(its my main hard drive with OS), it didn't detect in BIOS. The hard drive gets power and run with a clicking sound. After 2 or 3 minutes, it stops running. When again i start the computer same thing happens.

What i need to know is... Is there any option i can go for, apart from recovery, becos i need the data in it. Recovery cost is very much high, though i am not considering it.

Give me any suggestions, becos i need the data..... pls help:(

You are unlikely to be able to recover the data on your own. I have worked on a lot of failed hard drives, and the data recovery tools available to non-professionals depend upon the drive being recognized. Data on drives that are not recognized or will not power up (or maintain power) is no recoverable except by pros.

Thanks for your reply.

I already took it to the service centre and they are telling "recovery is the only way" without open the hard drive. The reason they are telling is, "only recovery centre professionals

will open the hard drive". So i thought how they came to this decision? May be there is a problem with header, or any other with the internal parts(i don't know). And they are telling that we should not open the hard drive, orelse when we are going to recovery centres they would not accept our hard drive to repair it.

What do i do now? Shall i open and check (just a glimpse)?

Dropped it means crashed heads... you're SOL.

If you plan to send it for professional recovery do NOT open it. You're only risking further damage to the drive to zero additional benefit.

Is there any possibilities to make THIS hard drive work again? Can't they make this hard drive work again or they only can recover the files from this drive and give it as a new copy?

Definitely done. The clicking sound is the head re-trying to synchronize with the surface. That is a typical sign of mechanical failure. The head is busted from the shock of the falling. There is nothing to be done at home. If your data is really important, get it to a professional data recovery lab, they have the tools to open it safely. DO NOT OPEN IT YOURSELF, you'll lose even the slightest chance of recovering the data, the disk surface is VERY sensitive to dust.

I can't digest it. Okay..... if i need only the particular files from the drive, shall i recover it? Or they check the availability of recovering and get ALL those files recovered? How recovery cost is differ?

Recovery in this case will be very expensive, think hundreds of dollars not tens. This is why backups are important. 

Or thousands. My last quote from OnTrack to recover, I think it was 20GB off a failed drive like this, was something like $1800...

Suggest me any video links in youtube, that has how recovered files look like?

Edited by mahenthiran

There are no video links on YouTube for what you need, assuming you must have the data you *must* use a recovery service that will open the drive in a clean room and attempt to copy the data to another drive.  It is not guaranteed to work and if it does it is very expensive. 

Now read all of the responses again, and you will see a theme -- you cannot do anything about this yourself and to use a proper service will be very expensive.

In the future you will never again forget the importance of good backup practices.

Edited by Slade
1 person likes this

4 hours ago, mahenthiran said:

Sure, searching for a good recovery centre........

Here at our data recovery lab for a dropped WD you can pretty much bet that the price will be $650 + cost of donor parts.  If the drive isn't clicking it's possible that the cost could even be a bit less.  Just to give you a baseline.

From the way you spell "centre" I'd assume you're in the UK (we spell it center here in the USA)?  If so I'd recommend you try out this company: http://www.pcimage.co.uk I've had discussions with the lead technician there and he's very good.  Well respected even among data recovery pros.

Edited by JaredDM

On 2/17/2017 at 3:52 PM, continuum said:

Or thousands. My last quote from OnTrack to recover, I think it was 20GB off a failed drive like this, was something like $1800...

They are ripping you off.  I've seen plenty of $2K+ cases quoted by Kroll and Drivesavers that we recovered for under $1,000.  A few of which they had deemed "unrecoverable" and given up on.  The problem is they are big companies with lots of employees.  And of all these employees only about 1/4 are actually doing data recovery work.  The rest are all just marketing, sales, customer service, SEO, advertising, etc.  You're much better off using a smaller company with only a handful of employees and most are all are actually the technicians. 

Edited by JaredDM

On 21/02/2017 at 3:26 AM, JaredDM said:

Here at our data recovery lab for a dropped WD you can pretty much bet that the price will be $650 + cost of donor parts.  If the drive isn't clicking it's possible that the cost could even be a bit less.  Just to give you a baseline.

From the way you spell "centre" I'd assume you're in the UK (we spell it center here in the USA)?  If so I'd recommend you try out this company: http://www.pcimage.co.uk I've had discussions with the lead technician there and he's very good.  Well respected even among data recovery pros.

No i am from India

12 hours ago, mahenthiran said:

No i am from India

In that case, perhaps you can try this company: http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com/

I've had quite a few conversations with Amarbir, the owner, on various chat forums.  He seems to know his stuff.

Edited by JaredDM

10 hours ago, David Johnson said:

Hello Mahenthiran,

Or alternatively you can send your hard drive to Stellar Recovery Labs situated in many cities of India. My previous experience with them is fantastic. Surely their over two decades of experience will recover most of your data.

Good Luck.

If you look at David Johnson's posts, nearly half are spamming Stellar's software.  So this isn't an "unbiased" opinion, it's just SPAM from some clown who either works for Stellar or is getting paid to SPAM for them.  Flagging it now.

The only thing Stellar is "stellar" at, in my opinion, is lying to people while spamming every forum on the planet.