AdrianH

HDD or SSHD for laptop

12 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have an ASUS N53SN laptop with a Seagate Momentus 750GB HDD which I bought around 2013. It sometimes makes some noises when the BITS has started in Windows 7. But the main problem is that HD Sentinel reports a health of only 12% while the performance is 100%. It also says "The drive found 168 bad sectors during its self-test.
There are 168 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk. 742 errors 
occurred during data transfer." 

Now I want to replace this HDD, however, I'm not sure which product is the best choice for me? I'm looking for a more reliable HDD with more speed. I don't know if SSHD's are good but I don't want to buy an SSD because they are overpriced in the country which I'm living and I think I won't need that high speed too much.

Some people say go for HITACHI HDD's, some recommend WD Black or Black Caviar, and some suggest Seagate products. I know they can all fail, I'm searching for the most reliable choice.

I have a WD Green in a desktop and it makes loud and annoying noises much worse than my Seagate in my laptop, despite the fact that I bought the WD Green recently and have not used it often.

So the bottom line is I'm looking for a nice reliable hard disk for my laptop with the capacity of at least 750GB and much faster than my current one.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

At this point why not consider an SSD? Unless you're highly budget constrained, that's going to be your best bet. 

20 minutes ago, Brian said:

At this point why not consider an SSD? Unless you're highly budget constrained, that's going to be your best bet. 

It depends on model and capacity. Which SSD do you recommend?

EDIT: I'm living in Iran and SSD's here cost a lot and are not financially optimal, very different situation than in the U.S.

In case of only considering an HDD, what are your thoughts?

Edited by AdrianH

I don't think I'd feel good about recommending you pay up for the hybrid. Really depends not eh pricing in Iran. What are your options for HDD, hybrid and SSD (just for reference)?

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I don't think I'd feel good about recommending you pay up for the hybrid. Really depends not eh pricing in Iran. What are your options for HDD, hybrid and SSD (just for reference)?

I'm not sure, but I found these that I can afford, from a popular online shop in Iran;

SSD:

• Samsung 850 Evo SSD Drive - 250GB (a little expensive though)
• Western Digital GREEN WDS240G1G0A SSD Drive - 240GB
• Western Digital GREEN WDS120G1G0A SSD Drive - 120GB
• Samsung 750 EVO SSD Drive - 120GB
• Transcend SSD220S internal SSD Drive - 240GB

Crucial SSD's are very expensive.

It seems that hybrid drives available here are only from Seagate.

But there are many choices for HDD. Western Digital, Toshiba, Hitachi, HGST, HP, Gigabyte, etc.

Here are some of them, from Toshiba:

• Toshiba P300 HDWD105 Internal Hard Drive - 500GB
• Toshiba P300 HDWD110 Internal Hard Drive - 1TB

• Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive

• TOSHIBA MG03ACA100 1TB 7200Rpm 64MB Enterprise HDD

• Toshiba 1TB DT01ACA100

Either Samsung offering would be a solid bet. I'd run away from that Transcend drive. The WD offering should be stable and reliable, but not as fast as the 850 EVO.

So my order would be

1. 850 EVO

2. WD Green

3. 750 EVO

I just can't see spending the money on a HDD any longer. I'd much rather see you spend the money on the 850 EVO for instance and use a cloud service to house most of your files. That said, what's the state of cloud services in Iran? Here we have dozens to choose from, not sure what your options are. 

12 hours ago, Brian said:

I just can't see spending the money on a HDD any longer. I'd much rather see you spend the money on the 850 EVO for instance and use a cloud service to house most of your files. That said, what's the state of cloud services in Iran? Here we have dozens to choose from, not sure what your options are. 

Thanks. Do you agree that WD Black HDD's are better than Green ones?

12 hours ago, Brian said:

I don't trust cloud services unless using heavy encryptions which would have their own complications. Also, extra internet traffic for accessing them would cost a lot.

Hey, Adrian. This is the Official Seagate Forums Team. We noticed you are not sure whether to buy a hard disk drive or a solid-state drive in order to upgrade your system performance. One benefit of a Solid State Hybrid Drive is that it will, in some ways, combine the best of both worlds between a standard spinning hard disk drive and a flash solid state drive, at a more friendly price point. SSHDs have a SSD cache, usually somewhere in the area of 8GB, it learns what files and information are accessed by you more frequently, and places them in the SSD cache so that these load up faster and give you better performance, but at a more affordable price because the whole disk is not solid-state. This seems like a good compromise of the different factors you're looking for here. Seagate FireCuda SSHDs may be something to look into here. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

10 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hey, Adrian. This is the Official Seagate Forums Team. We noticed you are not sure whether to buy a hard disk drive or a solid-state drive in order to upgrade your system performance. One benefit of a Solid State Hybrid Drive is that it will, in some ways, combine the best of both worlds between a standard spinning hard disk drive and a flash solid state drive, at a more friendly price point. SSHDs have a SSD cache, usually somewhere in the area of 8GB, it learns what files and information are accessed by you more frequently, and places them in the SSD cache so that these load up faster and give you better performance, but at a more affordable price because the whole disk is not solid-state. This seems like a good compromise of the different factors you're looking for here. Seagate FireCuda SSHDs may be something to look into here. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

I've had a number of older momentus XT hybrids, and never again, until you can put more a meaningful amount of flash in there.  8GB is not enough IMO.  I'd much prefer to see at least 32GB in there, on a 1TB drive, perhaps 16GB on the 500GB, so you can maintain low costs.  But 8GB gets quickly eaten up, and gains quickly lost in everyday computing.  Think of it as a quasi Intel Optane like functionality, but without needing to change motherboards, chipsets etc; and the capacity is equal.

44 minutes ago, mitchm3 said:

I've had a number of older momentus XT hybrids, and never again, until you can put more a meaningful amount of flash in there.  8GB is not enough IMO.  I'd much prefer to see at least 32GB in there, on a 1TB drive, perhaps 16GB on the 500GB, so you can maintain low costs.  But 8GB gets quickly eaten up, and gains quickly lost in everyday computing.  Think of it as a quasi Intel Optane like functionality, but without needing to change motherboards, chipsets etc; and the capacity is equal.

Thank you for pointing this out to us! We value feedback like this, which will be taken into consideration towards future product development.

Edited by seagate_surfer