Sign in to follow this  
Adam_a

NETGEAR Arlo Pro Security Cameras for Home Security Discussion

Arlo took its already good security system and improved it in several ways. While the original hardware still has many great features such as wire free, weatherproof cameras that are super easy to mount, 7-day free cloud storage, remote monitoring through a mobile app, and night vision, Netgear has added several features as well. The new features include two-way audio, a siren that can be triggered automatically or remotely, local backup of storage, faster response times when the motion sensor is triggered, and rechargeable batteries. Whether it is used as home security, business security, a nanny cam, a pet cam, or a two-way intercom within the house (or any combination of the above), the Arlo has all of its bases covered. 

NETGEAR Arlo Pro Security Cameras for Home Security

Any word on if they addressed battery life while in cold climates?  I'd read anecdotal stories that their batteries went to weeks or a single month in colder/near-freezing weather.  That has been the only thing holding me back here on buying this, vs running PoE in my home and outside of my home for different camera's and a Synology NAS (which isn't easy when you're in a 3-story home)

EDIT: Poor cold weather battery performance was reported on the first gen Arlo camera's.  

Edited by mitchm3
clarification

18 hours ago, mitchm3 said:

Any word on if they addressed battery life while in cold climates?  I'd read anecdotal stories that their batteries went to weeks or a single month in colder/near-freezing weather.  That has been the only thing holding me back here on buying this, vs running PoE in my home and outside of my home for different camera's and a Synology NAS (which isn't easy when you're in a 3-story home)

EDIT: Poor cold weather battery performance was reported on the first gen Arlo camera's.  

On original lithium battery Arlo: My parents ended up getting some cameras this past winter. SE WI, really, really cold. They had a few weeks where the temp was hovering close to 0F. Installed before Christmas, one camera is at 46% and the other is at 88%. The one at 46% had a bit of a snafu one day where it was triggered into live view mode and not turned off for an hour or so. Ended up draining the battery fast, but leveled off afterwards. That was like 2 months ago.

So far I'm at 98% on one Pro and 88% on the other Pro. Both were charged to 100% and installed a week or so ago. The light usage camera captures a few events a day (driveway) while the backyard one captures many long videos. Since we let our dog out or play in the backyard it probably gets 10-20 45 second videos a day easy. Those are also peak quality.