anoukaimee

7200 RPM HDD or slower SSHD for budget laptop upgrade? Not sure about FireCuda

2 posts in this topic

The hard drive in my Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 died. I did some research, and purchased the Seagate 2.5 Firecuda, 1TB. After a few days, I ran the Seagate diagnostic tools, and it informed me that it has a error, should backup all of my information, and return it. Great.

It is a 5400 RPM, and I'm wondering whether I should buy the same product, or get something like the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM or the WD Black. I'm not looking for a super quick boot up time, and I'm not gaming; just trying to 1) get the fastest overall system performance (I do have a tendency to multitask a lot, though) and 2) get something reliable (one reason I do like the Firecuda, despite getting a bum one now, is the 5 year warranty).

I'm on a budget and can't afford something spectacular--looking at ~$80 or less.

My understanding is that the two alternatives listed above are HDDs--no flash/SSHD. So basically: am I better off getting a 7200 RPM HDD or a 5400 RPM SSHD, for best performance? When I was researching this, I saw a few comments implying that if a SSHD wasn't at least 7200 RPM, it really wasn't worth it (but they might have just been grumps).

By the way: I'm a little irked at the Seagate site and tools. When I checked for a firmware update, it didn't initially recognize my serial # (the one provided by Seagate tools itself); further, it says there is no new firmware available. But I never got any firmware, so far as I'm aware. It took the standard Windows 10 SATA driver (circa 2006!). I bought this directly from Amazon. I've read everything I could find about the drive, looked at videos on YouTube, etc., and haven't found anything about firmware. Just diagnostics and SeaTools (which provides backup solutions--provided you buy the full Acronis package).

Anyone know off-hand if there is a different driver/firmware for this than the standard Microsoft driver? If so, where I can get it? Cuz sure looks like I can't get it on the Seagate site. :(

Here are my system specs:

*Satellite C55-C5241 (I know it's cheap and old, but the CPU etc. are fine; again--on a budget; my only real alternative would be finding some incredible deal given the processor I have, or else getting a Chromebook), i5-5200u 2.2ghz;

*8GB 1600 Ghz RAM (considering upgrading if new storage doesn't improve performance);

*Windows Home 10 x64.

Oh--and it has a SATA III connection.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I'd still steer you to an SSD paired with cloud storage for whatever won't fit. You'll get another several years out of that notebook I'd bet.