cbrworm

Seagate SAS drive SMART fail, Fails long DST, fixall then Passes long DST and PM question

I have a failing ST4000NM0043 SAS drive.  I started receiving warnings about the drive a week or so ago, so I removed it from service.  Out of curiosity, I went through the trouble of making the drive visible to Seagate Seatools.  The drive failed the long drive fitness test, as I expected it to.  Seatools recommended running a fix all command on it, which I did, now the drive passes the long drive fitness test?  

If I use smartctl, it still reports: SMART Health Status: DATA CHANNEL IMPENDING FAILURE GENERAL HARD DRIVE FAILURE  [asc=5d, ascq=30]

Obviously, I'm not going to use the drive, but I am curious - is the passing of the DFT suggesting that the drive should be suitable for use?

Second question:

Also, the drive has fairly low hours on it, but a lot of start/stop cycles due to the nature of this particular array's usage profile.  It is only accessed a few times a day, but power is applied 24/7.  It has 25K hours and shows Accumulated start/stop cycles: 6633.  The drive (and all the drives in this array) show a specified cycle count over the device lifetime to be 10,000.  I didn't realize the start/stop lifetime was so low - I think I thought the load/unload lifetime was what mattered.  Are these drives more likely to fail before 5 years (what I projected them to last) due to my spinning them up and down 6 times a day as opposed to keeping them spinning from 6:00pm until 8:00am, which is when they are in use?

I think load cycle count is one that freaks out a lot of people, but I'm not sure has a direct correlation to failure. That said all of my NAS devices and units I configure are setup to disable spindown.

On the Smart stuff, what you may have had is some pending bad sectors prompt the failure warning, and pushing the full scan through the tool got some of that to process into remapped bad sectors or something along those lines. The drive is designed to handle a set number, but again if you have 100 drives with no problem and 1 with outstanding errors, even if its "safe" I'd not risk losing data.