Adam_a

Seagate SSD For Xbox Review Discussion

4 posts in this topic

The Seagate SSD for Xbox provides gamers with an additional 512GB of capacity for storing their games. With the standard size of games this translates to roughly 15 games. The SSD not only provides more space for games, it also gives gamers a bump in performance for initial load times (from disks) and speedier level loads. Users can make a selection of games portable, for taking to a friend’s house, or on a trip as some hotels and airbnbs offer Xbox accessibility. The design fits right in with both the black and white versions of Xbox One as well as the Xbox 360.

Seagate SSD For Xbox Review

Glad this got reviewed, but from an Xbox owner/consumer point of view the review seems to be focusing on the wrong things. If one were to go by the nice charts, this SSD is many times faster than the two HDDs and clearly a no-brainer as which to choose. But reading the text it's revealed that at best in real-world usage it's only "almost twice as fast" loading Forza levels -- compared to the internal drive. No mention of how the other two external drives fared in the same scenario. Personally I would much rather have seen charts over the actual load times you said to have collected for the drives.

The charts you've provided are also worrying. The 4 TB drive is alarmingly slow compared to the 2 TB drive when it comes to read speeds, but is much faster when it comes to IOPS. What gives?

My own conclusion is that for half the price and four times the storage, the 2 TB HDD is probably a much better buy in the long run. Though, it's difficult to be confident in a performance boost as there's only a single subjective mention about loading times in the 2 TB HDD review, and it doesn't specify what it's being compared to nor the game in question.

I've been reading your site for years and I'm truly grateful for the work you're pouring into this site. Though I have to say this review left me quite underwhelmed, to the point where I had to register and give you guys some feedback. That being said, I still plan on staying around for another few years. Keep it up guys

1 hour ago, Waden said:

The charts you've provided are also worrying. The 4 TB drive is alarmingly slow compared to the 2 TB drive when it comes to read speeds, but is much faster when it comes to IOPS. What gives?

While Adam is working on the game performance bit, I wanted to clarify why the 4TB data is a bit skewed. The 4TB drive has an SMR HDD inside, which treats bursts of random write activity as sequential for short duration until its buffer fills up. So in some small areas the 4TB drive can win out, but the problem comes down to longer sustained activity, or when reading that data back again you get the performance hit instead.

1 hour ago, Waden said:

Glad this got reviewed, but from an Xbox owner/consumer point of view the review seems to be focusing on the wrong things. If one were to go by the nice charts, this SSD is many times faster than the two HDDs and clearly a no-brainer as which to choose. But reading the text it's revealed that at best in real-world usage it's only "almost twice as fast" loading Forza levels -- compared to the internal drive. No mention of how the other two external drives fared in the same scenario. Personally I would much rather have seen charts over the actual load times you said to have collected for the drives.

My own conclusion is that for half the price and four times the storage, the 2 TB HDD is probably a much better buy in the long run. Though, it's difficult to be confident in a performance boost as there's only a single subjective mention about loading times in the 2 TB HDD review, and it doesn't specify what it's being compared to nor the game in question.

I've been reading your site for years and I'm truly grateful for the work you're pouring into this site. Though I have to say this review left me quite underwhelmed, to the point where I had to register and give you guys some feedback. That being said, I still plan on staying around for another few years. Keep it up guys

It depends on what you are after. Personally I use a 4TB My Book and a 2TB Game drive from Seagate. My secret identity gets download codes for lots of games to review, and I need the space more than the performance. If I played more often (or for the fun of it instead of just reviewing games), I would go for the SSD to cut off load times. If you play a large variety of games or lots of multiplayer (where the performance is limited to something else) you may want to save some money and stick with the HDD.

As far as some of the numbers go, here are some of the numbers I have on hand:
FIFA 17

• Install time from disk
  • Internal: 43m 18s
  • 2TB Seagate Drive: 37 minutes
  • Seagate SSD: 37 minutes
  • Level load (on journey mode)
  • Internal: 13.69 seconds
  • 2TB Seagate Drive: 13.2 seconds
  • Seagate SSD: 10.7 seconds

Forza Horizon 3

• Level Load
  • Internal: 1 minute 2 seconds
  • 2TB Seagate Drive: 47 seconds
  • Seagate SSD: 33 seconds

Mafia III

• Level Load
  • Internal: 36 seconds
  • 2TB Seagate Drive: 34 seconds
  • 4TB Seagate Drive: 28 seconds
  • Seagate SSD: 21 seconds

Gears of War 4

• Install time
  • Internal: 46m 14s
  • 2TB Seagate Drive: 39 minutes
  • Seagate SSD: 39 minutes
  • Level load (on journey mode)
  • Internal: 27 seconds
  • 2TB Seagate Drive: 28 seconds
  • Seagate SSD: 22 seconds

The SSD generally reduces the time of loads but it can be as little as 5 seconds. If you are a professional player or like to hit really long sessions, like 4-8 hours in a row, this could add up and save you some time. If you are more of a casual player, HDD is probably the way to go unless the price is really good or drops off sharply for the SSDs.