Sign in to follow this  
etsrad

Samsung 1725 NVME 2.5 and VMware??

Hi, we have a Dell 730xd that we bought 6 months ago and we just bought some Samsung NVMe 1725 2.5" 1.6TB drives through dell to put into the server but are running into some issues....the disk was already in a 2.5" cage so it inserted right into the front of the server, but....

1) Not seeing the drive in H730 mini PERC or in iDRAC (dell support tells me that it passes through directly to the OS so I won't see the drive in perc or idrac?) Is that accurate? If so, how would I raid then?

2) I dont see it in vmware either....

We are on VMWare version 5.5, and the latest DRAC and BIOS versions for the Dell (but didnt upgrade the raid controller yet)

Any ideas?

NVMe drives can only be installed in a slot that supports NVMe. It sounds like you installed the 2.5" NVMe Samsung 1725 in a SAS/SATA bay. Further, PERC and the pass through support is for switching between RAID and HBA mode for a SATA/SAS SSD, not NVMe.

No traditional RAID card supports managing NVMe SSDs (nor would you really want one to). Most NVMe SSDs are capable of saturating one full PCIe slot already, so trying to route multiples through one card would bottleneck them terribly.

Thanks Kevin....but I looked at the instructions for the SM1715 (which I think uses the same connectors) and it says I should just be able to plug it into the front? They even happen to show a Dell server in the image...

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global/file/insight/2015/08/NVMeSSD_User_Installation_Guide_whitepaper-0.pdf

If this isn't the case do I need some sort of additional part? Even if I do, only VMWare can see it right and not the PERC? How can I RAID them then?

The shape of the connector is the same, yes. Electrically it is completely different.

The Dell server must be equipped to support NVMe drives from the factory. For models that support NVMe packages, Dell will sell one with X number of SATA/SAS bays, or fewer SAS/SATA bays with a mix of 4 NVMe slots. They look the same, but for all intents and purposes, its all different on the inside. Different drive backplane, different cabling, different motherboard connection/adapter. There is no way to convert a server to support 2.5" NVMe. If you want NVMe in a server not designed for it, the PCIe AIC option is your only route.

With VMware, there is no option to RAID. There are no hardware RAID NVMe options on the market that VMware supports. VMware also doesn't do software RAID.

Yeah, your best bet is to return the drives and get the add in card version instead. Easier and less expansive than swapping to a new server at least. 

Thanks guys, is there a concern then witht he 2.5" or even the add-in PCIe card if I can't raid them for production data?

KEvin, so you're saying chances are the server I got 24 drive bays that are SATA/SSD but no NVMe...

Most solutions that work with NVMe use mirroring or other data protection schemes at the application level instead of RAID.

Also I'm nearly certain you don't have NVMe slots. Its a custom server option that you have to go out of your way to select. We just went through this with a custom-built R630 for NVMe testing.