coyote

Velociraptor alternative

Seeking recommendation for the fastest mechanical hard drive, please

(since my computer isn't new enough to support AHCI)

to use as a boot drive

(300 to 500GB capacity is all I need, since I use other drives for storage)

I'm shaken to discover that WD no longer makes the Velociraptor (which I infer from that the only ones I can find of the most-recent 2012 model turn out to be used, or OEM [and OEM means zero WD warranty]).

I'd prefer to buy Western Digital/Hitachi, and a 5-year warranty.

Windows 8.1

What system do you have that's new enough for Windows 8.1, but won't support an SSD?

Are you in the US? I can send over an SSD to play around with. Even if its in IDE mode (really shouldn't be with SATA 3.0Gbs), performance will be much better than with a hard drive.

That's a very kind offer Kevin, but even though I'm in the US I think I should pass. 

I know that access time would be well worth it for booting. (Even if a mechanical HDD can max out the SATA2 transfer b/w.)

...But I just don't have the time (being disabled keeps me overly busy already) to do the non-AHCI SSD tweaks I've read about.

Edited by coyote

Ah, so I think I'm trying to choose between Western Digital's "Blue SSHD" and Black. 

http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Blue-SSHD-1TB-2015-vs-WD-Black-1TB-2013/m31760vs1822

Seems the Black is faster on all counts the Black is faster (and had a 5 to 3 year advantage in warranties).  

Surprising since I see people saying the SSHD's NAND should learn what files I use most...and that likely that would make it a faster boot drive.

This is quite persuasive (using Seagate HDDs)...

is a

Edited by coyote

Well we also have quite a few of the desktop SSHDs in the lab as well if you'd like one. 

I'm touched by this offer too, Kevin, but I can swing $79 for a 1B Hybrid. 

And I'm really super-cautious/hesitant to ever put anything but a brand new sealed HDD into service (even though I back up religiously).

I now see that not only is Seagate's aging SSHD faster than WD's Blue SSHD, but I see Seagate has a new July 2016 SSHD which is much faster than either, so I'm about to buy a SEAGATE drive (a shock for this WD-lover), a ST1000DX002, for the first time since 2008 (when the largest HDD one could buy was a ST31500341AS, one of which is has been in 24/7 service on the PC I'm typing on ever since).

Maybe it's good WD discontinued the VelociRaptor; I recall now that when the hybrids first came out I thought it was a sweet idea.

The Velociraptors might offer faster overall performance (no cache misses) but the hybrids do help out for lighter workloads with a lot of repetitive activity.

Hi @coyote!

Since you're looking for a fast HDD you can take a look at WD Black is the performance drive in. It has good features such as a built-in dual-core CPU that makes the drive great for multitasking. It is designed for heavy gaming, big workloads and intensive file usage. It has 5 years limited warranty and it's mostly used in gaming computers or editing machines. Here's a link if you want to check it out:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ruDa2L

Other than that, you can take a look at WD Blue SSHD as well. It has 8GB of NAND flash and is self-learning, moving the most accessed files to the flash and the least accessed are kept on the HDD. Basically you'll be able to see faster system boots, faster loading times of all the information stored on the 8GB, but other than that it will perform at a regular drive speed. Here's a link:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=IRyUSY

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

Thank you very much for your reply, Mighty_Miro_WD!

I did take a hard look (by which I mean I compared benchmark tests) at my beloved WD Black.  And a WD Blue SSHD, since it seems that a SSHD will often be even faster than a WD Black.

But while WD is my preferred HDD manufacturer, I see that Seagate's SSHD (ST1000DX002) looks *much* faster than the (older) WD Blue SSHD (per benchmark testing), so regretfully I'm planning to buy one soon.  I'll of course keep my eye on WD's future SSHD model releases!