Sign in to follow this  
Darakar

Next good time to buy a new CPU/MB?

Hiyas all,

I'm thinking about upgrading my mobo/cpu/ram (and likely case). I was wondering if anyone knew anything about new technologies being released within the next couple months that I should wait for before I go out any buy anything new right now.

For instance, the athlon xp .13 micron or whatever processors -- is that something that it would be worth waiting for? How about Serial ATA? Is that something that I should wait until more motherboards support?

Is there anywhere I can read about upcoming technologies? I'm planning on upgrading sometime around the end of the summer and want to make sure I get products that will have a long lifespan. The last time I upgraded my computer was right near the end of when slot CPU's were in use, and right before ddr sdram was popularized, so I kind of screwed myself into not being able to upgrade what I have too much. I don't want to make that kind of mistake again, and was hoping someone would have some tips as to what to do.

Darakar~

Oh, guess I should say what the computer will be mostly used for:

Word processing

Sound editing

Gaming ( :lol: )

Not necessarily in that order! :).

Well, AMD is going to be releasing Barton fairly soon (Aug or Sep this year), and hopefully ClawHammer and SledgeHammer will be available either late 2002 or early 2003...

ATI is poised to release the new R300 chipset.

Matrox is on the brink of releasing Parhelia-512.

Both of those should improve AGP graphics performance to higher levels compared to current offerings.

In addition, Serial ATA devices should be more prevalent by the time AMD has released ClawHammer and SledgeHammer, which will further boost disk performance and help applications which are I/O bound, particularly in a RAID situation.

Personally, unless you're in a real rush to upgrade, I'd suggesting waiting for these things to come to pass before considering upgrading in order to maximize what you get for the amount you spend.

Even if you don't buy any products based on these technologies, their release will force prices down for current products.

F*CK!!!! JUST lost my pretty post. Ah well...k...restated:

Thoroughbred core just got released, that's based on the 0.13 micron process. It is expect ramp up to 2400-2500 (1.93 GHz - 2 GHz).

ClawHammer is supposed to be due out in December, but although there are now rumors that it maybe be released possibly as early as August or October. However, some people are also saying that the August release won't really help the ClawHammer's sales that much.

Barton may or may not be released depending on the progress/status of the ClawHammer development. That would be the 0.13 micron, with silicon-on-insulator and 512 KB of L2 cache. There are also rumors that the Barton may not even have the SOI initially.

Socket compatibility between the ClawHammer and the SledgeHammers might be questioned and it will depend on what AMD is planning to do with these. The SledgeHammer, which has 940 pins, is nearly almost a quarter more pins than it's ClawHammer brother (at 754 pins). So, what means is that you probably won't be able to swap processors like you were able to with the XP/MP chips.

Along with the introduction of the ClawHammer chips, you'll also see HyperTransport being implemented, as well as AGP3.0/8X standard.

On Intel's front, because of the recent shift for the P4's FSB to be based on 133 MHz, it is expected to hold it's own until can re-release the IA-64 chip for the general public. Until then, the current generation of P4 will continue to ramp up in speed, and would probably cross the 3 GHz mark either something later on this year, or possibly within the 1H03.

DDR400/DDR-II standard is soon to be implemented, and some motherboard companies aren't waiting for Intel's offical release/support of it and are achieving it by overclocking the DDR333 standard.

(damn..and I had it written all nicely and everything too! :()

As you have seen from the pictures taken from Computex in Taiwan, nearly all the major motherboard manufacturers have a full line of ClawHammer ready boards, just eagerly awaiting for a chip to be seated in it's socket. They're probably in the final stages of fixing bugs as there is still quite a bit of time before the official release. It's going to be a busy year for AMD.

SATA still remains to be seen. Apparently there is support from motherboard manufacturers as well as interface cards, but with drives to plug them into, it doesn't really help too much. What WOULD be nice is if the plug on the motherboard end was a circular plus while the one on the drive is the standard rectangular shape. That way it would be rounded cables for SATA. *sigh* if only....

The way I figure, if you're going to getting a system primarily for Word processing, sound editing and gaming, a relatively fast processor with 512 MB of RAM would be sufficient. As the Hammer chips starts rolling out, the XPs are going to start replacing the Durons. Thus, Socket A is going to be around still for quite some time.

However, if you're going to be using your system for more than that, (i.e. power user, heavy computer graphics, or DCC), then getting a dual processor system might be the thing for you (if your choice program supports dual processor operation.) Then, that way you can wait until the processors catch up to the speed of your system.

(with source information from AMDZone.com and from Geek.com)

Awesome, thanks for the great information. Looks like it will be best at least to wait until new years to do any significant upgrades, which is probably better as I'm low on cash now anyways ;).

Thanks again for the heads up,

Darakar~

The last time I upgraded my computer was right near the end of when slot CPU's were in use, and right before ddr sdram was popularized, so I kind of screwed myself into not being able to upgrade what I have too much.

If you don't mind I ask, what do you have now ?

Technology is advancing as we talk. IMO there are NOT "best seasons" to buy. Just go and buy what you want, especially 6 to 12-month technology which has the best performance/price ratio.

Sometimes, especially true for DIMMs, there are "price windows" when production rises or lowers. Of course, you can't predict when an Earthquake will strike Taiwan so you can't predict a price surge... :lol:

Technology is advancing as we talk. IMO there are NOT "best seasons" to buy. Just go and buy what you want, especially 6 to 12-month technology which has the best performance/price ratio.

Sometimes, especially true for DIMMs, there are "price windows" when production rises or lowers. Of course, you can't predict when an Earthquake will strike Taiwan so you can't predict a price surge... :lol:

Unless you're one of those guys that work with the NEC 'Computenik' systems, then you CAN predict when earthquakes are going to happen. ;) lol...but..since most of us don't....ahh well....save up..then splurge...save up, then splurge again.

My current comp situation:

ABIT vt6x4 mobo

mwave.com enclosure, decent case, could be better, got it for $50 at the time of purchase

300w p/s

p3 933 slot processor

768mb pc133 sdram (512 + 256)

gf2 gts pure (32mb)

seagate 40gb 7200rpm hdd

netgear fa310tx network card

gateway2000 vivitron 17 monitor (this is about 3 or 4 years old now)

some logitech keyboard ;)

intellimouse explorer 3.0, razer boomslang 2000 (usin the explorer as my room is dusty and it kills the boomslang...damned ball mice)

Uh, let's see . . . ratpadz mouse pad . . . hehe . . .

Couple interesting things of note:

The processor, 256 stick of ram and motherboard came from www.step-thermodynamics.com when they were still doing retail sales. The cpu has 2 hsf's on one side and one on the other.

Considering I have about 340 days of time in my united devices deal now on just this computer, and I only started that about a year and a half ago or so (probably a little less), I've gotten good use out of this computer which I built myself. However, the case doesn't have good airflow, and would be a pain to mod, so I'm stuck with leaving the cover off so it doesn't freeze. However, that isn't enough to keep it from not freezing when I leave UD on for too long when the cpu is clocked at 933. In order to run UD constantly now I have the CPU underclocked so the FSB is only at 100mhz because I don't know how to unlock the modifyer (which is at 7.0). Considering I don't use the computer for much else right now, as I haven't had time to play as many video games as I normally would, and my classes are out for the summer, this is an ok deal for me. But if I'm going to get back into gaming for the rest of the summer, and certainly once classes resume, I'll need the full power of the computer so I'll have to drop UD for a bit or upgrade the parts that are giving me trouble.

Hmm . . . that ran on kind of long. In any case, thats my comp as of right now.

Thanks again for the help,

Darakar~

Right now, Intel's P4 has shown amazing ability to overclock reliably, leaving the P4 1.6A as one of the best deals of the century. I have mine ($130 chip) running at 2.3Ghz, with DDR 2700 (~$160), on an Abit IT7 mobo. The IT7 is an expensive board ($160), but you get 6 IDE channels, 10 USB including 2.0, Realtek Ethernet, 2 Firewire ports, and a great BIOS. No PS/2 ports, but I consider that a good thing...

The nice thing is that I have all of this, plus two WD1200JB drives, running on a 300W PS which cost $39. Athlon systems (except the newer Bartons) drain more, and aren't quite as stable on 300W supplies.

So you can easily upgrade for <$500 , assuming you re-use pieces from your current system (such as drives, case, etc). I moved up from a dual-proc PIII @733Mhz, and I really have noticed the difference in speed. Also, you'll have a mobo that will easily support newer P4s such as the B 533Mhz bus chips as they become cheaper...

FS

Athlon systems (except the newer Bartons) drain more, and aren't quite as stable on 300W supplies.

I wonder where you get that from. I could tell you about half a dozen Athlon systems in my direct vicinity all without a single stability issue. It might have been the case with the first slot A Athlons but that's ancient history by now.

It's been said already in this thread; if you need it buy it now (or soon anyways :) ).

I'm on the the verge of buying a new P4 system. And though Intel is dropping the RDRAM platform I'm still going for the ASUS P4T533 (without the -c) bundled with a 32bit PC1066 RDRAM module. A pretty complete board with audio,USB2.0 and raid (of which I won't be using any haha).

But the main features for me are the fast RDRAM and lockable PCI/AGP frequency, allowing me to mess around with the FSB while maintaining stability on the PCI/AGP buses.

AMD is cheaper true, but by much if you're into overclocking.

I wonder where you get that from. I could tell you about half a dozen Athlon systems in my direct vicinity all without a single stability issue. It might have been the case with the first slot A Athlons but that's ancient history by now.

Actually, I didn't mean to imply that Athlons were inherently unstable by any means. I did mean to indicate that they do drain more power than an equivalent P4 (and generate more heat), so if you want to use a cheaper power supply (which I don't endorse!), you can get away with a smaller P4 PS than what I would spec for an equivalent Athlon system. Any system with an underspec power supply will have stability issues...

FS