Peter Enoch

New storage solution any suggestions?

4 posts in this topic

We have about 100 low to medium performance VMware VM's that we want to consolidate from about 15 1 Unit servers to 4 Blade servers.

We have bought and tried a Dell PowerEdge VRTX system with 25 Enterprise SSD's, but sadly it seems the controllers in that system cannot perform for all flash solution.

We currently also have Dell M1000e Blade system and have 6-8 differently Dell EqualLogic SAN's running.

I really would like the storage to perform very fast and thats why we look at a hybrid or all flash solution.

From Dell i'm thinking on the Equallogic 6210XS (hybrid SAS / SSD SAN) or the 6210S (All-Flash)

Budget is about 100K or less.

Edited by Peter Enoch

Does the 100K budget scope both the compute and storage for the given platform? I know with the VRTX you were looking at it all in one, but does the budget cover both items? How much storage capacity do you need, or is performance the main focus? On the Dell side I'd really consider pursuing the EMC Unity stuff. Newest hardware and codesets, and gives you block/file in one box.

If 100k, Have you looked at VxRail or Nutanix?  Both should have entry level configs under that price range.  They both allow you to buy without VMware licensing, if you already own that.  (EMC used to require you buying Vmware licensing before up until recently)