Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndreSchmitz

Intel P3700 in Raid 1

4 posts in this topic

Good morning all,

does anyone have experience in Raiding Intel P3700 Cards? We are looking to boost a DB-Server with redundant P3700s. As far as i can see the only possibility to Raid these Cards is Software-Raid?

Reading Performance Report PCIe SSDs P3700icon-newwindow.gif Software-Raid1 works but with some performance-penalty. Additional i read that PCIe SSD- Softwareraids consume "lots of" CPU-Power under IO-Stress.

Can someone share his experience in Raiding PCIe-Flash?

Kind regards,

Andre

It has to be software RAID. Mirroring shouldnt have a huge impact though. What database software? Some clustering options at the software level might work better than RAID1 at the storage level.

MS SQL Server 2014 Enterprise. We want to use the P3700 to store the Log-Files for some write-intense Databases and TempDB to ease our SAN-Preasure. Afaik there is no way to create log-file-redundancy withing the MS SQL Server.

Looking at the Fujitsu doc linked above a SW Raid 1 sadly performns not so good as a single card. (for high-io-workload! looking at file-transfers etc it looks different!)

As you said, no huge impact. But i just wanted to ask ;-)

Screenshot from the above linked Fujitsu-Doc, Page 10 attached.

Thank you,

Andre

post-103228-0-57382800-1469162122_thumb.

Some questions you need to answered by you and the stakeholders

1. What is the performance you get today and issue you are seeing & solving by deploying PCIe Flash?

2. What's the performance you need?

3. Is the impact of RAID1 overhead really so bad that you would forgo the improvement?

4. What's the test plan - can you guys run some testing in a dev environment before you deploy to put it under stress?

As Kevin mentioned you can create highly available systems with clustering software that makes a better solution in LR. I would recommend looking at SIOS. I used to deploy PCIe Flash solutions (Fusion-io) and we found that utilizing application level availability/redundancy was really a better solution and architecture.

Regards,

M.Borgen