Sign in to follow this  
yamensaleh

Synology storage for a scanning project

Hello

I am having a scanning project and having difficulties of choosing a storage server.

my question is, is synology reliable? i am thinking to use synology Diskstation DS2415+ 12 bays with a storage of 50TB to store the output of the scanning, the output will be PDF and JPG and TIFF, and 5 users will work on this project, can you please advise.

thank you and regareds

NAS are great for data like that. We've been running Synology for several years both in our lab and in our individual homes without issue. I'd feel good about it for your suggested use case. What's your backup plan though? All that work to have the unit physically destroyed or some other loss would be devastating. Synology can connect to several cloud providers for backup, or you can set up a second offsite and sync to it. Think through that some for DR.

The lab where we will work will be a closed infrastructure, no internet access, so i am thinking of getting one more synology and use it as a backup.

What do you think?

I think that's great, but being in the same location is a problem. If it were me, I'd have the second system offsite and sneaker net changes at whatever pace you deem appropriate (daily, weekly) to the other system. Otherwise you're putting yourself in a very dangerous spot.

Synology has replication, so that is an option... But that is a solid unit to use, short of buying a brand name product specifically built for small files and multimedia. e.g. NetApp, Isilon, etc..