Sign in to follow this  
Valorous

Low IOPs using LSI adaptor even after firmware update!

Hello everyone,

I'm getting low random read/write IOPs in between 50-60k (sata 2 speeds), as soon as I plug a SSD back into my motherboards SATA 3 ports I get the advertised speeds. However, Sequential read/write speeds are high across the board, only the IOPs are being affected by this adapter.

Specs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IT-Mode-LSI-9211-8i-SAS-SATA-8-port-PCI-E-6Gb-s-Controller-Card-/252344098349?hash=item3ac0e15e2d:g:-w4AAOSwGYVXAyCn&rmvSB=true3930k
GA UD5 x79
Samsung EVO 840/850, 256gb and 500gb
Samsung 840 PRO 500gb

I currently have the latest IT firmware installed (2118it.bin / v20.00.00.00) and the newest driver from 2015 (2.0.76.0) opposed to the initial 2009. However, I was told that this is a SAS 2.0 device and I will only get sata 2 speeds. This makes no sense to me, because my sequencial read/writes hover around 550mb, its only the IOPs that are low. Any idea what's going on? My IOPs went from max of 60k to 70k after firmware update, but I should still be getting 90k+

Running out of time to return this thing, my last idea could be that it should be in a PCI 3.0 or 2.0 slot, I've also set Windows power management to performance.

Thanks!

Edited by Valorous

On 7/12/2016 at 10:14 AM, Brian said:

What drive is it? You listed a few...and how are you testing?

Any drive that's hooked up to the LSI.  All drives perform normally when in sata 3 ports.  I only have 2 on this x79 motherboard, sata3 makes a big difference with my type of work.

Intel SATA chipsets generally perform much better in single drive situations than the LSI HBAs. Those numbers you are seeing look pretty normal. You'll notice more with higher loads or additional drives.