Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adam_a

Micron 9100 MAX PCIe NVMe SSD Review (HHHL) Discussion

6 posts in this topic

The Micron 9100 is an enterprise NVMe SSD that comes in 2.5" and HHHL form factors. The drive runs in capacities from 800GB to 3.2TB and ships with different over-provisioning levels for its Pro or MAX models. As with all NVMe devices, the Micron 9100 will bring better performance and lower latency and was designed specifically for Big Data, content delivery, database solutions, hyperscale, HPC, and private cloud. The drive also offers power-loss protection and Micron’s XPERT firmware features (RAIN, data path protection, reduced command access latency, adaptive read and thermal protection).

Micron 9100 MAX PCIe NVMe SSD Review (HHHL)

Apparently Micron can make a very fast SSD if it chooses to - something that we don't seem to see very often in its consumer based SATA SSDs.

But they didn't make this one, Memblaze did.

I stand corrected then.

Hmm ... are there any differences between this and the Memblaze Pblaze 4? The only I can see is that the Pblaze 4 uses 15nm Toshiba Toggle NAND.

I would assume the firmware is different? That would explain the performance differences?

They will probably offer a full height 6.4 TB version as well I would guess. There was one on the PBlaze 4.

Edited by CrazyElf

It's funny, we were updating the firmware on our Memblaze drive a week or so before the Micron announcement and Kevin noticed all sorts of Micron entries in the updating process which was odd at the time, especially given the Toshiba NAND as you mentioned. I'd expect the two products to perform about the same at this point, though we haven't done extensive retesting on Memblaze. As to who puts out the next drive capacity first, I'd wager on Memblaze, but who knows. Micron hasn't shown a clear direction as to where they're putting energy.

The drive isn't faster from software differences. The 2.4TB model is the same capacity as the 3.2TB Memblaze product, just heavily over-provisioned for increased performance.