nislim

Choosing a new SAN for an SMB

We got suggested an NimbleStorage CS 215 by our MSP. I also asked them to make a quote for an EMC Unity 300F(all-flash).

Fast forward a few days and we receive quotes for both, prices are about the same for both models, my MSP is pushing the NimbleStorage device most likely because this is the product they have already deployed / know. Most of there arguments tend to boil down to a more modern storage architecture for the Nimble compared to the EMC Unity appliance.

My question is:

1. Does the Nimble architecture really makes such a big difference compared to the 'legacy' architecture the EMC uses (exact words of the NS salesperson / MSP contact)?

2. Which array would you choose given that the cost for the Nimble hybrid array is about the same as the EMC all flash array?

Personally I'd have more faith in EMC to deliver on promises than Nimble, but that is more from what we've seen on the reviewer side vs customer facing. Long term I have no idea how long Nimble will be out there losing money vs Dell/EMC.

The hardware EMC is using in the Unity arrays is top-notch and will be hard to beat for the price. If you have Nimble hybrid going at the same price as EMC all-flash, I'd go EMC any day of the week.

Personally I'd have more faith in EMC to deliver on promises than Nimble, but that is more from what we've seen on the reviewer side vs customer facing. Long term I have no idea how long Nimble will be out there losing money vs Dell/EMC.

The hardware EMC is using in the Unity arrays is top-notch and will be hard to beat for the price. If you have Nimble hybrid going at the same price as EMC all-flash, I'd go EMC any day of the week.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind

Thanks for the reference Kevin! @nislim - To help with more research on Unity, here's a link to the product line in the EMC Store. http://bit.ly/1SIZ9N7

We got suggested an NimbleStorage CS 215 by our MSP. I also asked them to make a quote for an EMC Unity 300F(all-flash).

Fast forward a few days and we receive quotes for both, prices are about the same for both models, my MSP is pushing the NimbleStorage device most likely because this is the product they have already deployed / know. Most of there arguments tend to boil down to a more modern storage architecture for the Nimble compared to the EMC Unity appliance.

My question is:

1. Does the Nimble architecture really makes such a big difference compared to the 'legacy' architecture the EMC uses (exact words of the NS salesperson / MSP contact)?

2. Which array would you choose given that the cost for the Nimble hybrid array is about the same as the EMC all flash array?

Your MSP is a bit mistaken. Unity is literally months old. They are referring to the older VNX/VNX2. Everything about Unity is new. Newer than Nimble.

If you can go all flash, that would be more preferred, than a hybrid array.

From a support and long term viability standpoint, EMC's Unity now only months old, and EMC being a solid vendor, I'd vote EMC.