Trigger911

Hello new member with a simple question about mini-sas connections

Hello sorry if this is a stupid question but I was referred here from a friend. I am too knowledgeable about raid cards and accessories. The story goes I had a intel raid 10 card die on me recently. I wanted to swap it out with a adaptec 6805e that supports raid but I made a stupid mistake and didn't get the kit with the cables. The intel cable types I had on the older card part number is g14989-003. I did some digging the adaptec requires SFF-8087. But the connections look the same but I understand Mini-SAS connections can have a different pin count. I just wanted to know if I can recycle the old cables.

Thanks alot for reading and any information.

Edited by Trigger911

We had troubles with an Adaptec SFF-8087 cable:

there was something proprietary about that cable.

We switched to a StarTech SFF-8087 cable

and it works great with our Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL.

MRFS

• Like 1

Both are standard mini-SAS (SFF-8087) connectors on the host end, so sounds like you should be good.

We use craploads of Adaptec cables here, plus craploads more from YC Cable and other vendors too.

• Like 1

OK well I can not seem to get the raid controller to see any sata drive I have hooked up 8 drives all different models and manufactures and nothing i just ordered 2 monoprice cables as they came highly recommend

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ok the time I was gone. I loaded gparted formated all the drives to make sure no header data was there and I also tested the disk and checked smart they are all in great shape and I can not seem to get the drives to show figured I got a bad raid card. I ordered a LSI 9260-8I as its got more power its an overall better card. I can not seem to get this going at all. I have 8 pairs of sff-8087 cables now (total 16). I am at whits end on this. For some more info I am leaving details of my build. I have also pulled drives from my desktop and new drives I keep for spares. Also my hot swap bay does not have a SPGIO I do not think that is needed.

Motherboard: Asus M4N-98TD EVO; 16gig of ram

4x WD10EDS (yes green)

I wish I had some spare enterprise type drives but I cant really afford them at the moment.

Edited by Trigger911

I assume you're buying mini-SAS to SATA fanout cables? Note that there's also such thing as a reverse fanout cable, and those will not work...

Yes and figured it out. I don't use a enclosure with spgio .... Got a sata cable set without the spgio and the lsi is working great. The adaptech card not so much but I am working on sending it back .... Thank you very much for answering my pleas for help.

Edited by Trigger911