Sign in to follow this  
ng4ever

Oldest Hard Drive that is still working

I have a bunch of old IDE drives that still work. I came back to this thread because I just happened to look at a machine I have running in the garage. It has a WD Blue 640gb drive.

I'm guessing it has been in service since '08?

It currently has 54,000 power on hours and 170 power cycles. HD Tune tells me that is 2,222 days of spin time. It has zero errors of any sort. Head flying hours is 21,000 - so head is flying about 50% of the time.

I have no plans to retire it any time soon.

Usually when I got a new PC or upgraded one, I would also replace the HDDs so I don't have any "ancient" ones any more. 

Apart from 1 from about 2003 which I am not sure if it is still operational and a couple external 1TB drives from....2005-6 IIRC which still work, but I wouldn't call any of them "ancient".

Not too long ago I recovered a failed 2.1Gb Quantum Fireball that was still in operation in a manufacturing environment.  Amazingly enough I found another working one on ebay to replace the failed read/write heads and recover all the data.

Pair of trusty old Seagate ST446452W

Brand/Model: Seagate Elite ST446452W
Form Factor: 5.25" Full-Height

Capacity: 47GB
Buffer Size: 4MB
Spindle Speed: 5357RPM
Connector: 68-Pin SCSI

Got a WD1200 120Gb IDE hard drive in a clear plastic box in front of me, no smart data manufacture date 22 May 2003.  I also have a 500Gb seagate ST3500641AS which is in my rig till the new 4Tb HGST comes.  I've only got space for 4 if I take the 2nd bay out for airflow (think I lost some rails for it).  It has 2936d 7 h 1395 power cycles and smart says its in its death throws.  Its got slow and noisy but its basically been idle except for a spare OS install.  8.06 years of power on.  My 2nd oldest is a 1Tb WD WD10EACS with 2808 power on days, 7.7 years.  I've got a 2Tb WD20EARS with 2335 days and 615,485 load/unload counts ( ran wdidle3.exe either turn off head parking or make it 3 mins before doing it ).  You can see below how few LLC have accrued themselves after I ran wdidle3; and how many more errors on the seagate between 2015-2017.  Also got failing seagate to run ATTO bench:

Edited by SgtSixpack